Was I Duped? Barred Rock Roos

Update: the seller has agreed to swap me for 3 "started pullets".

Does this mean already laying?

I am obviously nervous this won't be an honest trade (and I will be feeding roosters for months again until it becomes obvious). How will I be able to tell between a very young rooster and an older pullet? Or even a young pullet and an old almost done laying hen? I have looked online, read a lot about sexing them and still don't feel confident I would have known between my very young roosters at the time and a pullet.

My husband has told me it's inappropriate for me to ask my roofer to come with me for an opinion 😆😆

I am obviously nervous this won't be an honest trade (and I will be feeding roosters for months again until it becomes obvious). How will I be able to tell between a very young rooster and an older pullet? Or even a young pullet and an old almost done laying hen? I have looked online, read a lot about sexing them and still don't feel confident I would have known between my very young roosters at the time and a pullet.

My husband has told me it's inappropriate for me to ask my roofer to come with me for an opinion 😆😆
If you feel unsure of their sex, don't hesitate to post here, we are all very happy to help!

As far as I know (and I've been doing chickens for 8 months, so take that as you will), started pullets means they're not day-old chicks, and they're not laying yet. I've seen folks sell them any time between 8 wks and 15-22 weeks. So not usually at Point of Lay (just started laying or just prior to laying), but could be.

I think your husband is wrong (mostly). I would thank your roofer with great sincerity, and then ask if you can text him pictures of the birds the breeder is trying to swap you for. Seriously, I would tell him when you plan to meet for the swap and have him standing by, then take close up pics of the birds head (comb, wattles), and then side views and top views of them standing normally (which should show tail, legs, head, neck, etc.), also pics in good lighting of the feathers. Sounds like your roofer would be able to ID roosters for you, which would be super awesome. If the breeder is not willing to let you take those pictures and confer with your roofer about them, then she's trying to scam you again, in my opinion. If it was an honest mistake, she should be doing everything possible to make it up to you and should take no offense when you verify her story this time around.

Your roofer seems like a really decent person who was willing to help you out - If I were him, I'd be glad that you asked for my help to make sure you got pullets this time.

Personally, I would have great trouble trusting any word that came out of that breeders mouth. I think she totally knew what she was doing when she sold you the roosters the first time. But there's a chance I could be wrong.

ETA: or of course you could post pics here. That works too. :)

In keeping roosters, I have kept roosters that don't grow the biggest comb off the bat. Then they don't have as much hormones, that is my hope. I have no problems with roosters though.

As far as I know (and I've been doing chickens for 8 months, so take that as you will), started pullets means they're not day-old chicks, and they're not laying yet. I've seen folks sell them any time between 8 wks and 15-22 weeks. So not usually at Point of Lay (just started laying or just prior to laying), but could be.

I think your husband is wrong (mostly). I would thank your roofer with great sincerity, and then ask if you can text him pictures of the birds the breeder is trying to swap you for. Seriously, I would tell him when you plan to meet for the swap and have him standing by, then take close up pics of the birds head (comb, wattles), and then side views and top views of them standing normally (which should show tail, legs, head, neck, etc.), also pics in good lighting of the feathers. Sounds like your roofer would be able to ID roosters for you, which would be super awesome. If the breeder is not willing to let you take those pictures and confer with your roofer about them, then she's trying to scam you again, in my opinion. If it was an honest mistake, she should be doing everything possible to make it up to you and should take no offense when you verify her story this time around.

Your roofer seems like a really decent person who was willing to help you out - If I were him, I'd be glad that you asked for my help to make sure you got pullets this time.

Personally, I would have great trouble trusting any word that came out of that breeders mouth. I think she totally knew what she was doing when she sold you the roosters the first time. But there's a chance I could be wrong.

ETA: or of course you could post pics here. That works too. :)
He is coming back Tuesday to finish the roof and I was going to update him, tell him the plan and see if he volunteered anything!

Multiple people have said the same including the roofer - that it was intentional.

I will definitely be posting photos here as well. Now just a week of nerves waiting while trying not to look my boys in the eye 🤦

Ok. I picked up 2 "pullets". She said the third was coughing so she is keeping her at home separate for now. I have my opinion but what do you guys think?

The bigger one has less comb and waddle.
The smaller one has more comb and waddle plus is redder with a wavy tail feather.

Attachments

• 20230121_093852.jpg
    20230121_093852.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230121_093907.jpg
    20230121_093907.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230121_093940.jpg
    20230121_093940.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230121_093946.jpg
    20230121_093946.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230121_094028.jpg
    20230121_094028.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 6
Can you take a photo with something for scale to show how big they are? Your hand, a coffee cup? Just so we can see if “17 weeks” is somewhat accurate.

Pullets do start to redden up close to when they lay eggs. But if they aren’t close to that age, the one with the red is suspicious. Add in that curvy tail feather and I am very doubtful. 😬

If you decide to give up ok this scam artist lady, cuckoo marans, welbars, and cream legbars can be told apart by gender at birth (male and female chicks are different colors/patterns). So you should be able to avoid any “oooooops” from a sneaky breeder with those types of chickens. Or “sex linked” hybrids work the same way, but don’t tend to live quite as long. They lay SUPER well that first year though.

Back
Top Bottom