Was I Duped? Barred Rock Roos

they will become mean and I can't add any hens as the roosters will fight to the death for them 🥴 So at the very least I would need to get rid of the meaner one and one of the nice ones. But will the nice one STAY nice?View attachment 3374797View attachment 3374798View attachment 3374799View attachment 3374800
This isn’t true. Though they could become aggressive, at this age their behaviors probably won’t change much more. Which also means the aggressive one will probably stay aggressive. The roosters are not guaranteed to kill each other if you add hens, but roosters do tend to get along better without hens.

They are all barred rock mixes, possibly part of a sex linked cross, which would mean the seller knew they were boys.

Thank you all for your replies. My sinking feeling has been confirmed by you. Gertie and Edna are going to be shipped out and probably Delores too, although she - er, HE - is giving me pause.

I had read a fair amount about raising them, housing, feed, etc. But I did not read in detail about sexing them (aside from to know I didn't want chicks so I didn't end up with roos to get rid of). Silly me for assuming somebody would be dishonest and sell me roosters... especially with my children standing next to me, knowing what would happen when we didn't get eggs. This same woman is now running her own swap two counties over 😑

Yes they are males.

As for them staying nice, it ready depends on the bird..
In my experience, if I'm kind and loving to them, they'll be living to me.
Well it’s great that you’ve had this experience, but sometimes (read: very often) people are wonderfully kind to cockerels and they still end up being jerks.

Thank you all for your replies. My sinking feeling has been confirmed by you. Gertie and Edna are going to be shipped out and probably Delores too, although she - er, HE - is giving me pause.

I had read a fair amount about raising them, housing, feed, etc. But I did not read in detail about sexing them (aside from to know I didn't want chicks so I didn't end up with roos to get rid of). Silly me for assuming somebody would be dishonest and sell me roosters... especially with my children standing next to me, knowing what would happen when we didn't get eggs. This same woman is now running her own swap two counties over 😑
See if she'll take them back or give you your money back

How awful!

I've had good luck with feedstore chicks, and also those sold by hatcheries. Vent sexing is 90+% accurate, and if you order or buy female chicks, and then they turn out to be roosters, some places will give you your money back and possibly take back the roosters. Many folks sell or rehome them on Craigslist. You can also buy point of lay pullets from hatcheries and breeders with a good reputation, and then you'll know you got hens.

People like that will eventually get what's coming to them. Sending you supportive thoughts.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to purchase Plymouth/Barred rock point of lay pullets? I am outside of Central Virginia. A lot of hatcheries around here sell chicks but I am quite certain I am not up for raising chicks. I ended up at the animal swap for that reason 😞 Do they ship them at that age (would they be okay?)?

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to purchase Plymouth/Barred rock point of lay pullets? I am outside of Central Virginia. A lot of hatcheries around here sell chicks but I am quite certain I am not up for raising chicks. I ended up at the animal swap for that reason 😞 Do they ship them at that age (would they be okay?)?
I'm also outside of Central VA. I'd personally keep an eye on Craigslist and/or place your own ISO ad. If you find ads and are unsure of the birds in the ad, feel free to reach out to me.

They do ship them at that age. I've seen several hatcheries and breeders that will sell and ship POL pullets, I'd recommend just google searching it. Sometimes they will trim their beaks to prevent damage during shipment, and about half the time their beaks grow back, I think. You can contact the breeder/hatchery to confirm.

Any questions on whether they're on the up and up, you can search for the hatchery or breeder name on this site and see what folks' experiences have been.

Back
Top Bottom