Was I Duped? Barred Rock Roos

Can you take a photo with something for scale to show how big they are? Your hand, a coffee cup? Just so we can see if “17 weeks” is somewhat accurate.

Pullets do start to redden up close to when they lay eggs. But if they aren’t close to that age, the one with the red is suspicious. Add in that curvy tail feather and I am very doubtful. 😬

If you decide to give up ok this scam artist lady, cuckoo marans, welbars, and cream legbars can be told apart by gender at birth (male and female chicks are different colors/patterns). So you should be able to avoid any “oooooops” from a sneaky breeder with those types of chickens. Or “sex linked” hybrids work the same way, but don’t tend to live quite as long. They lay SUPER well that first year though.
Ignore my Lion King pose, it has been a stressful morning 😆🤦 They seem very small to me but the boys were huge so 😬
For scale, I'm 5’1 with small hands.

Attachments

• Jan_21_2023_11_34_35.jpg
    Jan_21_2023_11_34_35.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Jan_21_2023_11_34_40.jpg
    Jan_21_2023_11_34_40.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 5
They look like females to me. Most breeds start to lay around 23 weeks. And during the 17 to 22 weeks there comb develops some growth and starts to turn red. But generally there size stays a little smaller till there almost a year old.

They're pullets. Tail feathers don't mean anything at this age. Just FYI as a new chicken owner, if one was coughing due to an illness - they all likely have it. Separating one out of a group that's "sick" is pointless as they've all been exposed.

Quarantine them and keep an eye on them. Yay for finally getting pullets!

They're pullets. Tail feathers don't mean anything at this age. Just FYI as a new chicken owner, if one was coughing due to an illness - they all likely have it. Separating one out of a group that's "sick" is pointless as they've all been exposed.

Quarantine them and keep an eye on them. Yay for finally getting pullets!
I thought the same thing about the sickness 🤦 They all supposedly travelled together in a box yesterday so how is separating them now going to help?

Any chicken diseases spreadable to rabbits and dogs? The rabbit hutch is closeby. Dogs seperated by a fence and several feet.

I thought the same thing about the sickness 🤦 They all supposedly travelled together in a box yesterday so how is separating them now going to help?

Any chicken diseases spreadable to rabbits and dogs? The rabbit hutch is closeby. Dogs seperated by a fence and several feet.
These are your only chickens now, correct? If they're your only birds, just keep a close eye on them.

Nope! Nothing that involves coughing anyway.

These are your only chickens now, correct? If they're your only birds, just keep a close eye on them.

Nope! Nothing that involves coughing anyway.
Yes, just those 2 with hopefully the 3rd on the way 🤞 Okay, let's keep an eye on the ladies... That hopefully stay ladies 😆

Back
Top Bottom