Was it a hawk?

SeaSideChicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 22, 2019
We came home today and found our hens hiding on one side of the yard and our rooster in a pile of his feathers, killed on the other side of the yard. He had a large wound near his thigh and that was it. No bleeding really. I feel like if I had found him sooner, we might could have saved him. Could it have been a hawk or maybe an eagle?

We came home today and found our hens hiding on one side of the yard and our rooster in a pile of his feathers, killed on the other side of the yard. He had a large wound near his thigh and that was it. No bleeding really. I feel like if I had found him sooner, we might could have saved him. Could it have been a hawk or maybe an eagle?
Pics?
And what country are you in? It may help us know what predators are in your country

Sorry to hear of your loss :( I apologize for the blurry attachments.
Since it was during day and there was no blood and just wound I'm wondering if it was a stray dog since dogs usually kill aimlessly, or even accidentally. I read in another article with dog you will commonly find chicken with a broken neck or mauled with nothing eaten. The bird usually will be left where it was killed. When the bird stops struggling the game is usually over for a dog. Thinking when hawks kill they usually only leave behind feathers if anything.

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies and info. I really appreciate it. I don't have any photos of him. We buried him already. We are on the East coast of NC. We are in a neighborhood and we all have at least 8 feet high privacy fences. I doubt it was a stray dog for that reason. I am leaning more towards a hawk due to the fact that we have seen many hawks here. There were no tracks of any kind near him. There was no bloody mess, just about a 6 inch hole around his thigh and side. Feathers seemed as if they were plucked out. He will be missed, but we are hoping to have a silver lining to this story...
We decided to try and hatch some of our hens' eggs!
I am hoping to at least get a few of his babies. Since he mated with all the hens several times a day, I am hopeful. We set 16 eggs to incubate yesterday so today is day 1.

Sorry to hear of your loss :( I apologize for the blurry attachments.
Since it was during day and there was no blood and just wound I'm wondering if it was a stray dog since dogs usually kill aimlessly, or even accidentally. I read in another article with dog you will commonly find chicken with a broken neck or mauled with nothing eaten. The bird usually will be left where it was killed. When the bird stops struggling the game is usually over for a dog. Thinking when hawks kill they usually only leave behind feathers if anything.
X2 on this one. Hawks are very efficient killers and consumers. They usually leave just a pile of feathers and maybe a skull. Dogs, on the other hand, are out for the fun. Squeaky toys are no longer fun when the squeaker's gone! They'll chase, grab, shake ... and then drop it when it stops "playing back."

Back
Top Bottom