Was it an Opossum, or a Cat?

Gidgetgirl94

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
About a month a half ago we lost our first chicken. :( boyfriend went out to do his nightly chicken coop and horse check and discovered the terrible mess. Feathers everywhere.. One chicken had a laceration on the back of her neck where something grabbed her, but she was okay. Our other chicken, lucky(I know, not a lucky name!) didn't fair as fortunate. She was dead and something had taken her under the nest boxes an ate all her insides, but left the rest.
My boyfriend said he seen a Tom cat run across the road and we suspected it was him... We knew he had been coming into the barn in the past weeks but never seemed to have had a problem.
We figured we would put what was left of the chicken out somewhere so maybe if it came back, it'd go back to the one it had already killed instead of killing another one. Next few days the dead chicken ended up BACK at the barn barely anything left. We have since been locking the hens up into a small pen at night.
Well... About 2 weeks ago we killed a Opossum in the barn... So now that has me wondering, was it the cat or the Opossum?
It was a HUGE nasty male... Couldn't believe the size of the thing!

Back
Top Bottom