Was not expecting it to be this color. What color could this baby chick be?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I know it's very hard to tell exactly what color it will be and I know I wont get a 100% accurate answer, but so far it doesn't look like any of the options I thought it would be based on the parents. I'm hoping to just get some guesses.
The father is a dominant white rooster with red leakage. He came from a mixed color flock and unfortunately I have no clue what he could be carrying. This is his first chick. Now the mother I'm pretty sure is a cuckoo hen, but I don't know her genetic background either.
I thought their chicks would be either black, white or paint (with or without leakage), but it doesn't seem like it. I've never had a chick this color, so I don't know what it's gonna fethater out as. It hatched out looking black, but dried to be a light grey color. Any guesses?

I will post some update pictures when it fully dries. Another one has pipped from the same dad and possibly the same mom.
20230324_081614.jpg 20230324_081559.jpg

Attachments

• 20230206_132154.jpg
    20230206_132154.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230309_161240.jpg
    20230309_161240.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 15
She still looks blue. If she does turn out to be blue would that mean my rooster is blue under the white? I mean the hen I'm pretty sure is a normal cuckoo therefore the blue wouldn't be coming from her. And the rooster couldn't be splash cause his other chick is a normal black cuckoo. Or does it not work like that?

Either way I'm really happy about this chick. I've been wanting a blue hen for a while now. I'm a bit worried that her comb will be red because her mother's is and her father's comb is also lighter than I'd like. Still I think she's gonna be a keeper. Her mother has the best crest and type out of all of my hens, so I'm very excited to see what she'll look like when she's older.
20230407_161131.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still learning about genetics, but as far as I know Barring is a Dominant gene and a sex-linked gene, so the chick will most likely have some Barred feathers. The chick could possibly be Blue or maybe a mix of the White/Black from the parent's colors? I don't know :idunno
I don't think it'll be barred because only it's mother is barred. The mother also has light skin while the father has black. Based on the sexlinked skin color this should be a female and since barring is also sexlinked this chick will not be barred if it is a female.
Or at least I think so.

Mini update. The wing feathers look kind of light blue with brownish tips. What do yall think?
I found a photo of the flock the chick's parents came from. They had another photo of paints, which I assume is where my rooster got his white. I don't know how outdated these photos were when I got them because the owner didn't mention having any cuckoos at the time, yet I hatched 2 cuckoos from her eggs.

Anyway, this photo caught my eye. I think the chick might look similar to these blues with brown. I don't know if they would be considered blue partridge or not. That would explain the brownish tips of the chick's feathers.

I must have missed your post yesterday, but I agree, most likely she'll look similar to that. It's hard to say what she would be considered color-wise, especially since she's a mix of varieties and Silkie varieties are already a bit tough to ID because of the silkied feathering, but I would probably refer to her as Blue with leakage if she were my chick as she's clearly not pure for partridge based on her chick down.

Back
Top Bottom