Was only getting green eggs and today I found a blue one

tiki_chickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
Anaheim, CA
I have three EE's and they all lay about 5 to 6 eggs a week. They have been laying since July and one of them keeps popping out double yolks. That's not an issue. The issue is that they have been laying light green eggs all this time. I walk out there this morning and a big blue egg is sitting in the nest box. Blue as a cloudless summer sky!

What the heck? I thought egg color didn't change!

You could have one of two explainations for this. The first is what tiki_chickens suggests, that one of your girls has not been laying all this time and has finally started to lay. The other (and if I am wrong about this please someone chime in and correct me) it is my understanding that the "green" color is caused by a brown film put on a blue egg as the hen is laying the egg. It could be that your girl "forgot" to add the brown to get the green this time. You will know your answer tomorrow I suspect when you collect your eggs.

I'm leaning toward the possibility that your one hen hasn't been laying all this time. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Get more eggs AND a new color! What age did your two other EEs begin to lay? So many people mention EEs waiting until they were 9 months (or one a one & 1/2 YEAR). Good LUCK!
big_smile.png
My EEs are both 7 months and not a colored egg in sight.
sad.png

Last edited:
That's not possible that one hen wasn't laying all this time because I collect every day and I often collect all 3 green eggs. Not to mention I've actually witnessed all 8 of my girls pop one out. So I don't understand. It baffles me.

Oh yeah... and all my chickens started laying at 5 months, except my silkie who didn't lay for another month

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom