Was so mad I nearly beat my roo to death.

flowerchild59

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Southern IL
I have a little white crested black polish roo that is about 10 months old. Just lately he has be jumping at us, etc. I grabbed him a few times to show my dominence, yada, yada, yada. I don't turn my back on him and it has been ok for the past few weeks.
Today, I was reaching into the hen box to clean it out and put more straw and he snuck into the coup and the little jerk jumped me from the back and nearly got the back of my head. I chased him all around the henhouse til I caught it and I swung it like I was Hank Aaron and whapped its head against the roost. It made a sickening thud but it still got up and ran out of the pen. Do you think that will do the trick or just get worse.
Hmmmm............are anger management classes in order or chicken pot pie?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, chicken pot pie.
Some have had luck with catching their aggressive roos and carrying them around, but my personal experience is that, once they get to that stage of aggression, especially at such a young age, it's too late. And not worth it. What if he had gotten your face or eyes? Too many nice ones out there to put up with one that could draw blood.

x 2 .... and maybe some classes
wink.png
But seriously, I wouldn't want to deal with that...and it can be dangerous I've heard. Good luck with your decision
smile.png

I had a BR rooster named Foghorn. He had it in his mind that he was on top of the pecking order and no amount of physical evidence could change his mind. I had to carry a stick or one of those wire chicken catchers with me to make my rounds. I laid him out many times when he dropped his wing at my son or tried to spur me. Made zero difference to him, soon as he got the chance he would try me again.

I took him out after he attacked the neighbor's pregnant wife. Sure did love that rooster though.

I have a little black cochin banty who was always attacking me. I realized it wasn't bad in the winter (all bundled up) but come summer, this could hurt. Whenever he came towards me, I kicked him like a football. This was new to me, being kind of a peaceful, idealist. Then I read a suggestion here,(also mentioned by someone in your thread) pick him up, and carry him around under your arm like you would a football. Just tuck him under, go about your business, with him immobile. The suggestion was half an hour, I think I got about 15 minutes in. I was glad he is a banty.
I don't know which one worked, but he NEVER attacks me anymore. He is actually quite a good roo. If he had kept it up, or attacked a child, I would have said bye, but in this case, it worked. Good Luck, specially if you like the little feller.

Last edited:
Quote:
Try following. With broom, take him on. Do not strike him hard. Persistantly push him around. You want him to fight it at first. Then push a little harder. Do not stop until he squawks in submission. You will be giving him a sustained conversation he understands. The wacking of head against solid surface might cause real damage you do not want.

With my mean banty the more I fought back the meaner it made him, I never tried the carrying him around thing, then one day he disappeared so something got him.

Back
Top Bottom