Was this egg fertilized and already starting to develop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tess36, Nov 24, 2015.

1. tess36

tess36 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2015
    Central Virginia
    I am very much a newby and we just started getting eggs two weeks ago tomorrow. I've seen pics of the bullseye on the yolks searching here, but what I have seems past that point, or not that at all!

This egg was quite larger and weighed 67grams as opposed to the 40-47 grams my other eggs from my pullets are laying, so I was not surprised it was a double yolker. The egg smelled fine and beat normally and has since gone into a loaf of bread, but I'm just wondering about the two 'tissue'-like masses. Each yolk had one. I'm not concerned per se, just curious.
    [​IMG]

Thank you in advance to anyone contributing to my continued education on all things chicken and duck! [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some hens will lay eggs with gunk inside, it's usually a bit of the oviduct lining, unfortunately some hens do it for every egg. Large producers candle their eggs and remove such eggs from the line and sell them for other things like powdered eggs, so most people aren't familiar with the stuff that can show up in eggs. Developing eggs form blood vessels first, yours just has gunk, I use a spoon to remove such stuff, and I always break my eggs in a separate bowl first to make sure there's nothing in them.

3. tess36

tess36 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2015
    Central Virginia
    Thank you for responding. That's exactly what I did; I fished it out with a spoon, and then went on about my bread making business. [​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Happy to hear you went on with baking, some can get put off by such stuff.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Usually a piece of tissue, or spot of blood from a broken vessel, breaks off when ovum releases from ovary.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2 They are called meat spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by