Was this normal?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dmccann, Dec 23, 2010.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I was sitting on the sofa when all of a sudden i seen a coyote slowing walking past our french doors,heading torwards the chicken coop.Dh was home he got the gun out,when the coyote saw me he slowly turned up the hill i noticed his hind legs seemed to move awkard.He went up the hill only about 10 feet and layed down,dh shot him.Thank goodness no losses,we do have a strong electric fence up due to bear. I was wondering if this was normal for him to act this way?

2. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    I'm not a real coyote expert but I don't think that was normal he may have been sick or was shot by someone else and came to your house wounded. Did he have any wounds other than where your husband shot him?

3. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I did not really check him out, Hear is a picture[​IMG] he is kind of skinny.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Sounds like he was older or perhaps had an old injury that made him a little more brazen. Starving animals will do what they have to do to feed themselves.

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Where I am its normal, you go camping and they walk by your tents and don't care. We have coyotes that walk thru our yard [​IMG] They are not sick or hurt but it might just be our area

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree that it sounds like he was sick or injured (or both). Especially his reaction to seeing you - that doesn't sound right. I'm glad he met a fast/easy end.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I bet he was hurt - either that or he just wasn't afraid of people? [​IMG]

Last winter I had 2 big ol' coyotes come up to the coop(s) while I was out there and they weren't a bit scared of me! By the time I ran back to the house for the gun they had high-tailed it! [​IMG]

8. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I think he must have been sick,to only go about 10 feet and lay down like he was going to sleep.I think i want to move to the beach,maybe there are less scary animals! thanks everyone!

9. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    His legs look awkward, maybe hit by a car? It was probably a blessing that your husband shot him- no more misery.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree with LeezyBeezy [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by