Was this weasel or what?PHOTOS BIRD AFTER ATTACK DaytimeJustBeforeDarK

Quote:
Use a fairly small trap--the 6/8 inch high one--approach it very carefully with an old blanket and cover the trap. Supposedly as long as the skunk can't raise its tail, it won't spray and once the trap is covered it will remain calm until you move it. I caught one a week or so when trying to capture our cat, all I did was approach the trap very slowly, unlock it and leave it open--the skunk went about his merry way after I left. (It was a mile from the house so I didn't care.)

Quote:
Nope they'd only kill one bird and drag it away. My $$ is still on a coon.

Last edited:
Quote:
Nope they'd only kill one bird and drag it away. My $$ is still on a coon.

According to the OP only one bird was killed and I've never seen a rat drag off a bird, maybe a chick. For example, years ago one of my friends was losing 1 bird per day that were injured in the crop or the vent like the one pictured in the OP. They were found under the roost(fine that morning) every evening after he got home from work. We eliminated the rats(huge) and the problem was solved. Just basing my opinion on past experiences. Coons around here usually go on a killing spree before feasting. Whatever it is, I hope they get it soon. Very interesting...OP, keep us updated on this.

Quote:
I agree. Perhaps she had a blowout that spurred it on, but I'd bet that the rest of the flock did that. Especially with no feathers laying around. They ate them in the process.

I just noted that she was a four month old pullet, so probably not a blowout, but I'll almost guarantee that the rest of the flock did that.

Daytime, closed coop (for the most part), large areas of plucked feathers, vent eaten out = cannibalism

There were 16 four month olds in there (12 were araucana & 4 phoenix) and now only 15 since that one was killed. No crop injury. There are 2 adult silkie females both timid and one limps bad. The only others are my one year old phoenix pair and their 3 daughters who are only 10 months old and very timid. Oh and one ameraucana also timid, my other 2 hens (a polish and an ameraucana) were not in there when this happened.

Last edited:
Do not ever assume your birds are to nice to do something like this. this morning i found my head Rooster who protects the girls with his life. and they love him dearly In the corner of the coop behind my feed barrel. he had his head in the corner and I thought he was dead. it appears the girls decided he was fired and Pecked his neck ripped every feather out of one side and ate them. Now I have a half White Plymouth Rock half naked neck rooster. who was all bloody and in shock.
he.gif
he.gif
will post a pic after I eat.

Not a weasel for sure. As an owner of ferrets I throw them the occasional whole young chicken, dove or quail. They don't eat the intestines and eat under the skin and feathers

Quote:
I would say your title was revealing of the posts context. Ahhhh to be so politically correct! Good luck protecting your birds. I guess the whole world loves chicken!!!

Back
Top Bottom