Washing eggs?

Wash the bloom or let it be?

• Wash it

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Let it be

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters
I put my eggs right in the fridge. My eggs are pretty clean with the occasional slightly poo Smeared egg. If I find a particularly nasty looking egg, usually not in a nest box and being poopy and muddy, I just toss it, my girls produce enough eggs that I have no problem doing so. I believe that eggs are supposed to last longer with the bloom still on.

You should wash with water at least 20 degrees colder than the eggs. That expands the contents and forces bacteria from the pores. If you wash with cold water, the contents contract and suck bacteria into the egg.

Think you meant "warmer." :)

I only wash right before using, if I'm soft/hard boiling. I use warm water and a scrub brush that's only used for eggs. Otherwise I don't wash. If an egg is so dirty that it needs it I probably would feed it to the dogs, but haven't had that issue before.

Think you meant "warmer." :)

I only wash right before using, if I'm soft/hard boiling. I use warm water and a scrub brush that's only used for eggs. Otherwise I don't wash. If an egg is so dirty that it needs it I probably would feed it to the dogs, but haven't had that issue before.

I hope he meant 20* warmer because that is what I have been doing this whole time...Wash and refrigerate.
Thank you both for the correction. From time to time I make mistakes but the aforementioned is the exact opposite of what I wanted to say. Hope it is just a senior moment but I find it necessary more often to reread before I hit the post button.
For the time being, I'll blame it on having too much on my mind.

Last edited:
If you are going to wash - yes, it matters.
You should wash with water at least 20 degrees warmer than the eggs. That expands the contents and forces bacteria from the pores. If you wash with cold water, the contents contract and suck bacteria into the egg.
Just curious, what happens when the egg cools off, contracts and starts sucking things back into itself?

Back
Top Bottom