Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:
BYC is acting a little glitchy today.

OK, I'll try to get some started. I'll use a few techniques.

Yes mine is the common one. I got it at a local nursery. Grows incredible fast, but where it's at; doesn't spread. I have to give it several haircuts a year and 1 crew cut each winter.

Russ

btw- I'm also giving the 5 leaf Akebia a crew cut also.
There are a couple of native honeysuckles; Lonicera ciliosa and L. involucrata. The Japanese honeysuckles are invasive. The birds carry the berries and plant them everwhere.

LOL!  I guess I had a lot more planned to say.... PRETTY EGGS JESS!
yes, very. We don't have a blue layer. One of our Ameraucanas lays green, the other lt brown. Now after reading posts here I wonder if they are actually Easter Eggers. The green layer came from Del's, the other from a friend.

Btw anyone check out that meteor that just hit Russia? Some amazing footage on YouTube.

Quote: I have honeysuckle, but no asparagus.
Ooh! I love honeysuckle! Maybe I could get a few starts of the honey suckle from you next time we meet up or at the show in March if you are coming?

I'm planning on pruning my Honeysuckle today. I'll save some starts in case anyone wants. I'm not sure how well the start from winter cuttings, but it can't hurt to try.

The flowers look like this, but I am not sure of the exact variety, off the top of my head.
642px-European_honeysuckle_800.jpg

If anyone has advice on what to do with the starts, plz let me know.

Russ

The best way to root it is to use the bury method: take a longer shoot and pin 2-3", about 6-8 inches from the end of the shoot, into the ground, so that the tip is above ground. It will grow roots in any stem that is buried (similar to strawberries). It works really well if you graft the side or score the side of the shoot you are going to bury, takes a couple weeks though.

You can also do a leaf bud cutting, with some rooting compound, and bury the bottom 2-3 nodes in the medium. I usually just cut a 10-12" shoot off, remove the bottom leaves and buds, and put rooting compound on the whole stem, then put in water to allow it to root.

For reference only, I "borrowed" this from a blog that I found on google... NOT MINE!

If you don't have rooting compound, you can use willow branches, cut them into small pieces, smash them with a hammer, and pour boiling water over them and let them sit overnight making "Willow Tree Rooting Tea." If you don't have a willow tree... you can even try honey for it's antiseptic properties!
big_smile.png

And if you want some help, I am available Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday if you want to take a lot of cuttings & prep them. You might be able to make a few bucks since now is the time to take them. I saw a lady on CL selling starts for $5/ea.
thumbsup.gif

Now... does anyone have a willow tree or know of a willow tree around Tacoma? I'm out of rooting compound!
hmm.png

Are the hlorists selling pussy willows yet? Make an arrangement in a vase with pussy willows and anything else you want to root, kill two birds with one stone.

Quote: Unfortunately, those probably won't lay blue eggs. You need to get them from a breeder who is breeding blue egg layers to be sure that you will get blue eggs. So EE's aren't going to be what she wants.
idunno.gif
big_smile.png

Mine do.

Well no offense FWJ but EE's are not predictable on egg color. They can be nice blue like yours or green, brown, pink even a rare lav. SO If one wants colored eggs EE are great> But if one wants a certain color say blue. They need to buy a BQ of the breed.

I have so much to be grateful for right now! I get to pick up the new babies as soon as I leave work
love.gif

We finally are looking at property, although we don't really know where that will be right now. I can't wait to actually have a deed to some land, eventhough I know we won't start building for years, at least I can plant my orchard this year! My mom kinda bummed me out about my grape-growing plans, she said I would HAVE to be in Eastern WA for them to flourish and not mold. I have looked and love the Winthrop and Cashmere areas and heard they have some great wine-grape weather
lol.png

I guess if anybody has seen anything we are lookin' fer 15-20+ acres of land (raw or not) with a creek or stream. It would have to be under $50K for us to be able to afford it. I am not a huge fan of Stevens County and thanks to a BYC friend a ways back, I frequent landwatch.com and landsofwashington.com.

Quote: Unfortunately, those probably won't lay blue eggs. You need to get them from a breeder who is breeding blue egg layers to be sure that you will get blue eggs. So EE's aren't going to be what she wants.
idunno.gif
big_smile.png

Mine do.

Well no offense FWJ but EE's are not predictable on egg color. They can be nice blue like yours or green, brown, pink even a rare lav. SO If one wants colored eggs EE are great> But if one wants a certain color say blue. They need to buy a BQ of the breed.

I bought 12 "ameraucanas" from Dels a couple years ago. I knew they were EEs before I bought them. Out of twelve, 1 lays a blue egg, 1 lays a pink, 1 lays a bright green, 3 lay olive, 5 laid a green, and 1 lays an olive egg with a purplish cast to it about 4 times a year. I can tell the wheaten ameraucana eggs apart from all but the one EE.

I'm going to hatch a few ameraucanas and EEs this year to get enough replacement girls. I'm also going to buy a few ameraucanas if I can. I need another rooster as well for the gene pool.

One of the wheaten pullets I got from Jean back in November started laying a couple days ago. She was squatting, so I knew it was coming. She'd gotten very friendly in the last few weeks.

Quote: I have honeysuckle, but no asparagus.
Ooh! I love honeysuckle! Maybe I could get a few starts of the honey suckle from you next time we meet up or at the show in March if you are coming?

I'm planning on pruning my Honeysuckle today. I'll save some starts in case anyone wants. I'm not sure how well the start from winter cuttings, but it can't hurt to try.

The flowers look like this, but I am not sure of the exact variety, off the top of my head.
642px-European_honeysuckle_800.jpg

If anyone has advice on what to do with the starts, plz let me know.

Russ

The best way to root it is to use the bury method: take a longer shoot and pin 2-3", about 6-8 inches from the end of the shoot, into the ground, so that the tip is above ground. It will grow roots in any stem that is buried (similar to strawberries). It works really well if you graft the side or score the side of the shoot you are going to bury, takes a couple weeks though.

You can also do a leaf bud cutting, with some rooting compound, and bury the bottom 2-3 nodes in the medium. I usually just cut a 10-12" shoot off, remove the bottom leaves and buds, and put rooting compound on the whole stem, then put in water to allow it to root.

For reference only, I "borrowed" this from a blog that I found on google... NOT MINE!

If you don't have rooting compound, you can use willow branches, cut them into small pieces, smash them with a hammer, and pour boiling water over them and let them sit overnight making "Willow Tree Rooting Tea." If you don't have a willow tree... you can even try honey for it's antiseptic properties!
big_smile.png

And if you want some help, I am available Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday if you want to take a lot of cuttings & prep them. You might be able to make a few bucks since now is the time to take them. I saw a lady on CL selling starts for $5/ea.
thumbsup.gif

Now... does anyone have a willow tree or know of a willow tree around Tacoma? I'm out of rooting compound!
hmm.png

Are the hlorists selling pussy willows yet? Make an arrangement in a vase with pussy willows and anything else you want to root, kill two birds with one stone.
I'm done pruning. It was given a huge haircut, More of a shave! Lol.

I'll try water and rooting hormone/soil-less mix. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Can't do the pinning, it's planted on a fence between me and the neighbors driveways. Closest soil is 20 feet away. It was starting to bud, so I'm hopeful.

Russ

Well I went out and gave the rest of the silkies some haircuts. They seemed amazed at what they could see. The rooster is all full of pep now that he can see better.

Back
Top Bottom