Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle

2. ChickAudie

ChickAudie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    I've drilled and ground glass plenty, just need water with a regular drill bit. It's the bit getting hot that causes the glass to break. Works on ceramic too

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. ChickAudie

ChickAudie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    Hey guys no problem about the Goofy Goose TacomaFarms, I'm thinking it'll be hard to leave these guys!! If anybody wants to meet up still, you're more than welcome to come to my house. Cause I'm not leaving LOL!!!

4. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    wish I could have come, but we're super busy today. I'm leaving soon for the Grand Prix. Kids are bouncing off the walls and should be for the next 5 hours. Oi! At least they'll sleep well tonight ;)

5. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Totalcolour

NO hole required - our chickens do fine without - see previous post.

7. Totalcolour

Nipple Waterers and Sparklets Water systems

Think about it (dog waterers too). They don't have air holes on them. At least my dog waterer doesn't, yet they don't create a vacuum inside preventing my dog from drinking. And all the Sparklets bottles that I have seen, don't have holes in them to prevent a vacuum. When the water comes out, you will notice a "bubble" and "gurgle", that is air going back inside preventing a vacuum.

In fact, if there was a hole on the bottle, then the water would continually run, since the air pressure would push it out. The reason it doesn't run is that the pressure inside is controlled by the amount of air that gets back inside from the air bubble gurgle. (that is, on dog waterers and sparklets bottles)

8. Shyla-C

Shyla-C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Western WA

9. Totalcolour

Appologies

Himself informs me that we don't have holes in our waterer pipe, however, the water is under pressure so this may be an entirely different kettle of fish, so to speak.

10. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125

Dog waterers are different from nipple waterers though. Dog waterers are gravity fed, nipples have a valve. The valve stops it from running unless the valve is pushed in.

Anyway, my nipples needed a hole. The person selling the nipples says it needs a hole. I say they need a hole :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by