Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hey, hello
frow.gif
Carolyn. Hope you enjoyed the rainy, rainy weekend.

Well, we went camping with family and friends (in a trailer thank goodness) and got good and smokey and kinda wet, but it was all good. I'm sure hoping the sun comes back, or at least the water stops soon. Our tomato plants are looking awfully yellow instead of the lush green a couple of weeks ago. sigh.

Got a chicken that has me stumped, too.

Are you going to the Mother Earth Fair in Puyallup this weekend? I was just looking at their schedule and saw quite a few things I'd like to see and hear. So I bought tickets on-line just now. $15 for the whole weekend if you buy them today. Otherwise it's $18 per day. I thought it was a great deal and gives us the flexibility of choosing which day at the last minute. Or going both days.

Well, we went camping with family and friends (in a trailer thank goodness) and got good and smokey and kinda wet, but it was all good.  I'm sure hoping the sun comes back, or at least the water stops soon.  Our tomato plants are looking awfully yellow instead of the lush green a couple of weeks ago.  sigh. 

Got a chicken that has me stumped, too. 

Are you going to the Mother Earth Fair in Puyallup this weekend?  I was just looking at their schedule and saw quite a few things I'd like to see and hear.  So I bought tickets on-line just now.  $15 for the whole weekend if you buy them today.  Otherwise it's $18 per day.  I thought it was a great deal and gives us the flexibility of choosing which day at the last minute.  Or going both days. 

Last year admission was free if you turned in a used cellphone. My daughter and I went the second day. Have to work this year.

Here's an update on my coop. I think I posted a picture of what I started with already but anyway here goes a little timeline on my coop build. I call this the Freestyle Coop. I did it without any plans. I decided what the footprint would be and a rough idea of what I wanted to have in the end and went for it. The drawback is I always end up re-building some parts and my time line gets messed up easily when I decide on some new feature or shift directions.

I have this old unused garden bed in the backyard. Mostly the dog just digs in it. I thought I'd have to wait for him to move out with my youngest child after he graduates from Cornish next year. After some research I figured he could deal with it. It's also still a work in progress.

4.5 feet x 25 feet garden bed. After lots of thought I decided to put the coop in the center to allow me two run spaces on either side.

In these next two pics you can see the changes. Window for light in back wall, plywood ceiling. There is a screened off gap at one end in the roof for ventilation and more light.

Now it needs some doors.

Sand bedding hauled in and put in place. Food and water. Ready for some residents! Yea! I closed off the upper nest boxes too.

And what do we have here? Chickens a roosting! I'm SOOOO! excited.

Welcome to your new home ladies. I'm really glad to have here!

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for looking.

What a nice looking coop, those are some very lucky chickens! Love the nice big doors and retractable roost, very creative! Thanks for sharing the pictorial timeline!
woot.gif

Greetings fellow washintonians!!

My wife and I were considering purchasing an incubator so as to avoid the (what we feel is) inflated cost of buying chicks. We were wondering if anyone sells fertile(or atleast likely to be) eggs? We read the trader joes add and that it was a smashing idea. Alas, Trader joes in our area does not sell fertile eggs(darn!) We live in teh Graham/Tacoma area. No real specific breed, however if you have polish my wife will love you and me that much more. Cheers!

If you want to hatch Hamburgs, I want to give you free hatching eggs; I'll have eight-ten by this weekend, probably (just gave away a dozen on Saturday and the weather is depressing lay).
PM for details.

Back
Top Bottom