Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote: LMAO! Chucks of black and white wool all over the place!

The silkies probably are moving just about as much as well. All four of them went broody within a day of each other.
Quote:
I haven't read The Fifth Elephant in a long while. It's somewhere out in the shed. There are like 60+ boxes of books out there. We really need a library so we can find what we are looking for easier.

We'd picked up the most recent book when it came out. DH read it, then it got lost. If I can ever find it, I'll read it. I do miss Rincewind's adventures. Need more of them. And what else has happened with Susan and her grandfather? Dang it. I really want to read Reaper Man again.

Of all the authors who should live long and write more, Terry Pratchett would be the one I choose, and he's mostly trying to keep going to finish the stories he can remember while he can... Have you read the Tiffany Aching ones?

ETA, also, Susan and her Grandfather show up in The Hogfather. There's a great TV version of that, with Michelle Dockery who went on to play (Lady Mary on Downton Abbey) as Susan.

Oh, yes. Have read about the Wee Hag and the Nac Mac Feegles. I love how Tiffany gave Granny a kitten. Well I love how You put Greebo in his place.

We picked up DVD copies of The Hogfather and The Color of Magic a couple years ago. DH used to pick up the books overseas when ever they stopped in port when he was on cruise. So we have a lot of the European covers. I think I still have the calenders he got us. The artwork on them is just awesome. We had a Discworld computer game back in the 1990s. It's out in the shed somewhere, but it wouldn't play on anything past Windows ME so it's no use now.

Dark Side of the Sun and Strata are some of my favorite books of his. They aren't Discworld, but I highly recommend them.

This is the silkie coop right now.
Hee! They look like what I cut off Baaachus today.
LMAO! Chucks of black and white wool all over the place! The silkies probably are moving just about as much as well. All four of them went broody within a day of each other.
You named your chicken after a dwarf? I wanted to name our german shepherd Angua.
Well, she's a very small chicken with a beard, you know. Angua is my favorite; I just finished rereading The Fifth Elephant last night and the interchange at the end between Angua and Carrot is so heart-breaking.
I haven't read The Fifth Elephant in a long while. It's somewhere out in the shed. There are like 60+ boxes of books out there. We really need a library so we can find what we are looking for easier. We'd picked up the most recent book when it came out. DH read it, then it got lost. If I can ever find it, I'll read it. I do miss Rincewind's adventures. Need more of them. And what else has happened with Susan and her grandfather? Dang it. I really want to read Reaper Man again.
Of all the authors who should live long and write more, Terry Pratchett would be the one I choose, and he's mostly trying to keep going to finish the stories he can remember while he can... Have you read the Tiffany Aching ones? ETA, also, Susan and her Grandfather show up in The Hogfather. There's a great TV version of that, with Michelle Dockery who went on to play (Lady Mary on Downton Abbey) as Susan.
Oh, yes. Have read about the Wee Hag and the Nac Mac Feegles. I love how Tiffany gave Granny a kitten. Well I love how You put Greebo in his place. We picked up DVD copies of The Hogfather and The Color of Magic a couple years ago. DH used to pick up the books overseas when ever they stopped in port when he was on cruise. So we have a lot of the European covers. I think I still have the calenders he got us. The artwork on them is just awesome. We had a Discworld computer game back in the 1990s. It's out in the shed somewhere, but it wouldn't play on anything past Windows ME so it's no use now. Dark Side of the Sun and Strata are some of my favorite books of his. They aren't Discworld, but I highly recommend them.
Also the YA Nation which is a wonderful text on loss and grieving and recovery and becoming who you are wrapped up in a fantasy story. I think Strata is somewhere on the dining room table, I need to find it.

Last edited:
That's a bummer about the Silkie. It may not be a genetics issue, but an incubation issue. Hard to say. I would not use it in a breeding program. Post it on Craigslist, there are lots on there that take "Special Needs" birds.

I want to offer it here first but if no one wants the chick I will list it on Craigslist. These are my first Silkies to hatch so I don't know if it is genetic or something went wrong during incubation. I was tempted to try working the lump up towards the empty socket to see if the eye can be put in its place but I doubt it would be functional and I might cause more harm than good. I also considered trying to put the chick under a broody hen to see if she will take it but it may be too old to respond to the hen even if she does take it. For now it is doing well so I have left it alone with the other two chicks.

I went ahead and listed the Silkie chick for free on Craigslist since there does not seem to be any interest here. I have BBS Orpington chicks hatching now (four blue so far) and I will have more Silkies hatching so I will see if someone wants to take this chick before the hatching chicks join the Silkies in the brooder. The Orpington chicks are already larger than the Silkie chicks even though they just hatched today.

You know, I really wish I had a hope in perdition of getting everything properly housed and cleaned up by three weeks from today while also not working myself into an inert lump.

Question for y'all... Does anyone know who this http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/grd/3867614614.html might be?

God Bless,
steer away.....from one person I was told that she has sold sick birds, buys birds from auctions, then marks up heavily, claims she has to sell all the time due to neighbors forcing her to sell......she has numerous ad....query on her ph and you will see her ads.....she has BCM on her ad....not show quality, heavily colored chest on rooster, squirrel tail, bad conformation, plus pixs are that not hers...she claims her birds are Wade Jeans line....but it was quite a few generations ago......

Last edited:
I just had a Barnevelder hen get sick and die, no clue why. She had been broody for nearly a month, pulled all her feathers from underneath and was quite feisty when I'd reach under her to retrieve eggs. Yesterday she left her nest when I was cleaning the coop and returned in the evening. She was behaving normally except that at night she chose a really high roost on top of the nesting boxes where my Ameracaunas usually like to hang out, and not on the main roosting bar with my other two Barnevelder hens. About an hour ago my daughter found her lying in the yard and breathing heavily. We picked her up and set her down elsewhere. She was barely able to walk. Her crop was really squishy but I could not get anything out, and her breath was not sour. I came in here to ask what I can do and my daughter just reported that she died. She craned her neck several times, gasped and died. She said there is a bulge near her vent, but she otherwise looks normal.

We were in California the last week of June. When we returned on Monday I noticed that at least 2 of my hens are missing - My lavender orp, and a gorgeous BCM both from Cowgirl Grace. There is no sign of them anywhere, no pile of feathers in the yard or anything. I had a teen take care of them my petss and I found all the watererers but the hanging buckets with the nipples completely dry. The buckets were still half full and all chickens had access to them, but they all prefer drinking from bowls.

Back
Top Bottom