Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I work in Shelton!  I'm headed there in the morning, lol!  I got hatching eggs last year from TLS Ranch in Northern California...got them right off BYC last year, shipped to my post office.  It cost plenty and I had a so-so hatch rate(because they were shipped eggs...) but I just love the quality I got in these birds.  Where is Kummer Poultry?   I'd sure like to show my birds but I missed out on the Chehalis show in November and Monroe is just SO far away...

Anyway, nice to meet you, Lutefisk!

DD
Nice to meet you too! I actually work in Oly but love Shelton especially the restaurants... Xinh's, Osaka, the Strip and that taqueria behind the auto parts store.

Kummer Poultry is in Black Diamond near Flaming Geyser. Here's his website: http://kummerpoultry.com. I bought 2 dozen, and Erhard threw in a few extras since he is not sure about fertility this early in the year. I couldn't fit them all in the incubator so ended up eating the smallest three. :/ They were fertile which bodes well for the rest.

Quote:
There are several of us in the same area... I'm in Silverdale/Bremerton. I've seen pictures of the birds from TLS.... is that Trish, I can't remember.

Erhard's birds are some of the best (Kummer Poultry) and he's almost always at the shows. He lives near Black Diamond. You know... Monroe really isn't all THAT far once you get across the bridge. And if you take the Kingston ferry it's even easier. You know you wanna do it!!!
droolin.gif
There are a couple of us from Kitsap that are going. I'm not showing but I really enjoy going!

Just got 15 Maran hatching eggs from DM Rippy in TN - they are now happily in my incubator. She did an awesome packing job! Can't wait to see how many hatch!!!

I'd really like to see the color of the eggs you got from them. Do you have a pic you could post? What color Marans? I got some Blue, BCM, and Splash eggs from Helen Byers (Texas) that are due to hatch on the 10th.

I'd really like to see the color of the eggs you got from them. Do you have a pic you could post? What color Marans? I got some Blue, BCM, and Splash eggs from Helen Byers (Texas) that are due to hatch on the 10th.

The white ones are a Polish and a Silkie egg from my girls. The Maran eggs are Blue and Black. I don't have any of them in my flock..... looking forward to getting some!

Last edited:
Quote:
Those are really nice looking Marans eggs. So it's half Blue Marans and half Black Marans? (in case some folks don't know... Marans is always spelled with an S at the end whether talking about one or many) I see some of the eggs are lighter, is that specific to either the blue or black? The eggs I got didn't seem to be. Blue and Black are both beautiful, but I especially like blue.

Thanks for posting the picture!

Oh, I'm from the South Sound area too! Belfair, near Hood Canal! I've got Silkies and Double Laced Barnevelders, as well as a few Muscovy ducks. I've had other breeds over the years, as well as turkeys, but finally settled on these as my favorites!

Welcome PacificNW!

DD

i'm near Shelton. Where did you get your Barnevelders? I saw some beauties when I picked up hatching eggs at Kummer Poultry, but he didn't have any eggs yet.

Ah you caught me! I thought I could slip in under the radar
wink.png
Well, I'm in south Puget Sound area and right now, and my flock is non-existent. But I plan on changing that very soon! I'm building a coop and run, which is almost finished. Sort of. lol! This forum was recommended to me by a friend of mine as a great source of information as well as local resources. Nice to meet you all!

Hi,

I live in Port Orchard. I have RIR's one Silver Penciled Rock hen and Silkies. There are a lot of us in this area. Welcome and enjoy the thread.

Richard

Well Hey... I still think we should try to get together some time since there are so many of us in the area. And I know at least 4 more around Silverdale, Pt Orchard, and Poulsbo. Anybody interested? I'd enjoy putting faces to names.

Oh... anyone heard from AletaG lately? Isn't she doing heritage RIRs?

I got attacked this morning when I checked on the hen and chicks. The chicks were playing under the light and me lifting the lid scared them. Mama rushed over to get whatever was making them yell and run. She's being a good mom. I can't wait for the weather to turn back warm so I can let her out with them.

There was just a skim of ice in their water that was against the wall this morning, so the 40 watt bulb did just fine. We were down to 18 last night. I think they will be fine as long as it's above 20 in there. Mom was smart enough to move them all under the light last night.

Today we had a high of 32. I'm looking out at my small Orp coop - my 10 month old buff hen has decided to be mom to the 6 week old blue chicks. She is so cute! And she is still laying one egg a day! (she is the only one old enough to lay). She is keeping them nice and warm.... although it would be warmer in the henhouse than in the pen!

Those are really nice looking Marans eggs. So it's half Blue Marans and half Black Marans? (in case some folks don't know... Marans is always spelled with an S at the end whether talking about one or many) I see some of the eggs are lighter, is that specific to either the blue or black? The eggs I got didn't seem to be. Blue and Black are both beautiful, but I especially like blue.

Thanks for posting the picture!
Thanks!!! I was not aware that Marans is always spelled with an S! I honestly don't know if it is an even split on the eggs or not.
However..... I just had a Silkie chick hatch... noisy little girl...

The way I look at it.... if the egg doesn't hatch, it was male...... if it hatches, and survives, it has to be a pullet right????
fl.gif

Happy thoughts... I don't need any more roosters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom