Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Here too. I hope your power stays on! Good luck!

Thanks, you too! Sounds like it's easing up out there.

move a blanket out by the heater now (not so close it catches fire but enough it stays warm) that way if the power goes out you can put it over the incubator to prevent it from losing heat.

My dad did that during power outages that were as long as 5 days while the temp went down his eggs still would hatch but just be a few days late.

Good idea. I do have it on a UPS which should hold it up a few hours - at least until I can find the inverter and hook it up to one of the cars.

Am sorry that You lost Your lil one….I hope you keep dipping their beaks into the honey water till they do start to drink & eat….I haven't had to often but sometimes its all through the night every 2 hours or so…..

the other two died. one held on for a long time and seemed like it was getting better. it was walking around then suddenly just laid down and stopped breathing.
They refunded me for 3 chicks. I'm thinking that the polish are really sensitive to stress.

HD-2. Just took the incubator off the turning cradle and turned up the humidity. I heard somewhere that hens talk to the eggs as they get close to hatching so I made some clucking noises over the eggs before I put the lid back on. No response, but maybe it's too soon. And to be fair, even human babies aren't expected to start talking until after they are born.

To take my mind off the eggs I'm doing development on a duck pot pie recipe for a cooking competition next fall. I have a commercial gluten free pie crust mix that I really like so that part is easy but the filling is somewhat involved. For the competition version, I hope to source the duck and veggies for it from my backyard.

It's blowing like crazy here, debris from the big firs raining down on us. Three days to hatching, I hope we don't lose power!

Good luck with the power. You might consider getting some hand warmers, I've heard they work well too. Then there's always body heat, but 2 dozen might be a challenge. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

ETA:

The pot pie sounds really interesting, and for a competition no less. Very cool. That's a great thing to keep you busy. Let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:
HD-2. Just took the incubator off the turning cradle and turned up the humidity. I heard somewhere that hens talk to the eggs as they get close to hatching so I made some clucking noises over the eggs before I put the lid back on. No response, but maybe it's too soon. And to be fair, even human babies aren't expected to start talking until after they are born.

To take my mind off the eggs I'm doing development on a duck pot pie recipe for a cooking competition next fall. I have a commercial gluten free pie crust mix that I really like so that part is easy but the filling is somewhat involved. For the competition version, I hope to source the duck and veggies for it from my backyard.

It is *fantastic* fun to hear eggs talking!!

Sold - I will take a dozen
big_smile.png
Should we coordinate time/place or is it easy to find everyone? I have never been to the show.
I'll do my best, but right now, my best id=s awful tired, and that new couch is calling my name.............................................not to fear, I can always ship.
But in the mean time, I'll write this on my list.

In the picture was right after i put them in the crate. I have no doubt when i first took them out of the box they were cold. They sat in the post office from 6 am to 830 am. They do not instantly go hey it's warm in here so i'm warm. They take a bit to warm up.
Their brooder is 92 degrees. They are spread out now but hey whatever i think i've said that several times on here. Advice is only advice when ya use what you are told rather then basing it on when they first showed up. There is NOTHING i can do about the temps they were kept in at the post office. Nothing I do can undo whatever they did there.
hit.gif
When I get boxed babies like this, I have the luxery of putting them right in a brooder.
And there they stay for a few days before I move them under an open heat lamp, 18" off the floor, and raise the heat lamp as the babies act hot.

hit.gif
When I get boxed babies like this, I have the luxery of putting them right in a brooder.
And there they stay for a few days before I move them under an open heat lamp, 18" off the floor, and raise the heat lamp as the babies act hot.

Mine are in a dog crate on a counter. They high enough that i don't have to bend over to change food/water and handle them.
I sadly didn't get a chance to go pick them up right away. and it really makes me want to cry. I really feel that if i had gotten them first thing in the morning that they'd have done better. I tried to i beat on the post office door (front and back by sorting). I was told i'd have to come back when they open and it made me want to cry because at that time I was sure i'd come back and get a box of all of them dead.
For now on i don't think i"ll order them. I'd rather incubate/hatch my own. hatched here they don't die as they aren't stressed at all.

When i first opened the box these two were acting weaker then the rest. One went down within an hour of being here and is still barely breathing. the other was wobbly but hadn't gone down yet til i checked on them a few minutes ago it had gone down (laying on it's side) struggling to breath worse then when i first took it out of the box.
I really think it was just stress. because they were shipped out day before yesterday. It took 2 days to get to me that is a LOT of stress. Also they came from Ideal poultry which is in Texas meaning they got to ride in a plane. That had to be extremely stressful.

Most of the babies are running around like they are on crack. They aren't huddling to close til they settle when they settle down they cuddle together not directly under the light. So I think i have the temp just right for them. They are on dirt/sand. They have good water, and good feed. I'm just... I don't know it really sucks cause it's two of the polish ones and I really really wanted one or two polish hens. i ordered 6 straight run polish just in case this happened (thankfully) but now am wishing i'd ordered more of the polish because some of the chicks are for my nephew and he wants the "fro chickies" as well.
If this is the case where babies were dying before you even collected them at the post office then contact the sender & let them know the babies arrived either dead or almost.
I had it happen, and opening the box & SHOW the post office clerk the dead babies as a reference, and my clerks here want nothing to do with seeing the crnage that can be, in a chick shipment box.
But, at least it is documented and my shipper has refunded me.

Once again we have winds of 40-50 with gusts OVER 70 mph RIGHT NOW and has been every evening for the last 1 weeks.
Crayola !
Like the roof will lift off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BYE

Back
Top Bottom