Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

the shipper (Ideal poultry) refunded me for the dead ones already. I still want to cry i'd rather have live chicks then getting my money back. I know it's not Ideals fault it's the post offices.
I will NOT have chicks shipped again knowing that they wont let me pick them up right when they come in.
HI, i am not sure its fair to blame the Post Office either, When Your dealing with life there really isn't any guarantees. Maybe the Polish are more tender since it seems that they were the ones affected? Over time i worked it out with my Post Office and now they let me come and get them with they come in.

The critter in question looks like a vole. We have them here in Alaska. They have never come into the house, and are not as destructive as a mouse. The ones we have up here are very plush coated in the winter, and look more like a hamster then a mouse.

HD-1 and a few hours. No pips yet. Should I start worrying?

Did you candle before lockdown? If there was development then I would say "SET ON YER HANDS" It's too soon to worry. While they should hatch on day 21. There are variables that can cause that to change. I have had them hatch as early as 19 days and as late as 23 days. I also know that when I let the Silkiebator hatch she will give me chicks at 20 days. SET ON YER HANDS and be patient. After all what else can ya do??? Wait !!!

Did you candle before lockdown? If there was development then I would say "SET ON YER HANDS" It's too soon to worry. While they should hatch on day 21. There are variables that can cause that to change. I have had them hatch as early as 19 days and as late as 23 days. I also know that when I let the Silkiebator hatch she will give me chicks at 20 days. SET ON YER HANDS and be patient. After all what else can ya do??? Wait !!!
i did - of 19, all but one are too full to see much of anything except the air cell. The other is about half full and i think quit a few days ago but it doesn't smell bad so I'm leaving it in just in case.

I've probably asked this before, But anyone on here that shows chickens and lives in the city- Do you know where to get a rooster decrowed? I was told no roosters when I made my case at AC they told me figure out how to stop it from crowing then i can keep one. SO, Money isn't an issue on this. If one of my polish is a rooster I want to keep it. I'm down to 2 polish chicks hoping for a male and a female to produce more chicks for me.

Anyone know? I've heard of some places doing it but lost my list.
Are you talking about Decrowing an adult rooster? It's a rare vet that will do that.

I think you mean neutering/caponizing a male chick.

I looked into that when I had a cockeral. There is a vet member CMSDVM here that has a vet practice that does it, in the Tacoma area. I waited too long (I think she said before 6 weeks old was best) She's very nice and I'm sure would be helpful.
Here's her page with her RL name and website:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/30853/cmsdvm

Imp- Good luck

She wants it for breeding. So the decrowing. I've heard of it being done but never looked into it since I'm out in the country.

Are you talking about Decrowing an adult rooster? It's a rare vet that will do that.

I think you mean neutering/caponizing a male chick.

I looked into that when I had a cockeral. There is a vet member CMSDVM here that has a vet practice that does it, in the Tacoma area. I waited too long (I think she said before 6 weeks old was best) She's very nice and I'm sure would be helpful.
Here's her page with her RL name and website:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/30853/cmsdvm

Imp- Good luck

i don't want to neuter the rooster though I want to have fertile eggs. I bought straight run chicks that aren't even a week old yet when they begin showing the sex i wanted to have it lined up already to get it decrowed.

Back
Top Bottom