Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

i don't want to neuter the rooster though I want to have fertile eggs. I bought straight run chicks that aren't even a week old yet when they begin showing the sex i wanted to have it lined up already to get it decrowed.

Have you checked on the Polish threads for any local folks or reasonably priced chick/egg shipping? I would hate to think of you spending so much on decrowing and then not have any of your Polish be show quality or even worth breeding if you really want SQ birds.
sad.png

The other thing that was suggested to me was to try to find someone to partner with that could keep roosters. Then you could bring your hens to the rooster(s) for a few weeks to get fertile eggs for hatching. That is my 'someday" dream once I find a breed that I want to stick with.

Good luck no matter what you decide!

i don't want to neuter the rooster though I want to have fertile eggs. I bought straight run chicks that aren't even a week old yet when they begin showing the sex i wanted to have it lined up already to get it decrowed.

Have you checked on the Polish threads for any local folks or reasonably priced chick/egg shipping? I would hate to think of you spending so much on decrowing and then not have any of your Polish be show quality or even worth breeding if you really want SQ birds.
sad.png

The other thing that was suggested to me was to try to find someone to partner with that could keep roosters. Then you could bring your hens to the rooster(s) for a few weeks to get fertile eggs for hatching. That is my 'someday" dream once I find a breed that I want to stick with.

Excellent advice on making sure they're good quality before breeding.

One thing I've seen quite a few folks do to breed in the city is construct pens for the males in the garage, some even going as far as to make them double walled with baffles to make them sound proof. It doesn't take a lot of space, even 4'x4' is big enough by a lot for a Polish, then you just rotate different females through his pen with him a couple days at a time to keep them fertile for hatching.

One thing I've seen quite a few folks do to breed in the city is construct pens for the males in the garage, some even going as far as to make them double walled with baffles to make them sound proof. It doesn't take a lot of space, even 4'x4' is big enough by a lot for a Polish, then you just rotate different females through his pen with him a couple days at a time to keep them fertile for hatching.

What a creative idea - wouldn't work for me as my DH usually has the garage full of VW parts & pieces except for my designated Spring brooding time :) I could see that being an option for folks though.

sad.png

isn't "worth breeding" an opinion? Why would they need to be show quality for my own flock? I don't plan to show, only reason i was asking people who show birds about it is many people who show their chickens/roosters are in the city and pay to have them decrowed.
Some of what i hatch for myself would end up being mixed breed so really doesn't bother me if they are show quality or not.

My garage is right outside my neighbors bedroom window and only 10 ft from my garage to their window. But I will discuss this idea with my husband. It would have to be sound proof.

isn't "worth breeding" an opinion? Why would they need to be show quality for my own flock? I don't plan to show, only reason i was asking people who show birds about it is many people who show their chickens/roosters are in the city and pay to have them decrowed.
Some of what i hatch for myself would end up being mixed breed so really doesn't bother me if they are show quality or not.

Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to show them or breed SQ Polish.

Hey everyone!!!

I'm looking for a duck (or ducks) to purchase. We currently have one female Pekin duck. *Most* of the time we have wild Mallards in the pond with her but on occasion they all fly away leaving her alone. I hate listening to her quack for hours on end waiting for them to come back (which they always do).

My duck is completely free-ranged. She lives in/around our huge pond 24/7. She refuses to go in with the chickens at night. She gets fed every day (and now so do the wild Mallards, lol). She's been at our place for years, living outside like that.

I'd love to add a drake. Preferrably one that won't scare away the Mallards; since we love having them around too. We'll have up to 30 ducks in our pond at a time. It's fun to watch. :)

I'm in the Enumclaw/Maple Valley/Bonney Lake/Buckley etc area if anyone has or knows of anything. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom