Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean! That's what happened to me when I started looking a few years ago. Now I've become a little bit of a fanatic trying to get people to know there IS a difference, that hatcheries/feed stores don't know or care, and where to get the right information. Let's see if I can help you on your way.

First, be sure to look at the Ameraucana Breeders Club to get the specifics about the breed along with the Accepted Colors. The SOP (standards) say the Ameraucana lays only a blue egg. I've learned that the actual version of blue can vary in it's tint with some being much lighter or some being much bluer.

An Easter Egger is a chicken produced by breeding a blue egg layer (like an Ameraucana) with another breed. The genetics will create various egg colors including green, blue, teal, pink, brown, etc. The more mixed up the genetics, the more Easter Egg colors you'll get. They are not an actual breed, they're a cross breed. And there are a lot of very pretty EEs! Many people really enjoy the EEs both for their feather colors and their eggs colors.

The breeding programs at Commercial hatcheries aren't concerned with breed standards. Their stock will not hold up to scrutiny if put to the test. Their business is to sell chicks. They may have had a few pure Ameraucanas in the beginning, but who knows, they certainly are NOT now. The reason they label them incorrectly IMHO is that they sell more by allowing the misunderstanding to continue. There's no monetary benefit for them to correct it. If the chicken buying public wants it corrected they have to address the problem, but that's a whole different topic.

Some breeders are trying to expand the "varieties" (colors) of Ameraucanas so they have special breeding programs. Until they are accepted they will call them "project birds". Whether a person calls these project birds an Ameraucauna or an Easter Egger is one of the grey areas and you will find strong opinions on both sides. I think technically they are Easter Eggers. If I wanted an EE, I think I'd rather buy a project bird from a good breeder than a hatchery EE. Generally speaking, hatchery birds are inferior in size, vitality, and long-term health. When you start going to shows you'll notice the difference fairly quickly.

The best way to get a pure Ameraucana is to buy from a reputable breeder. The way to find a reputable breeder is to ask around, go to the poultry shows and meet the breeders that are showing, check the membership list of the breeders club, ask good breeders that raise other breeds. There is a thread here on BYC for Ameraucanas, too. When you're talking to a potential seller, if they spell the name wrong or can't tell you exactly what variety (color) their Ameraucana is, there's a very good chance it's not a true Ameraucana!

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I can't remember who said to go to Kummer poultry, but I just spoke to Erhard, and next week I'll be getting a Russian Orloff hen to add to my flock. I'm really excited - they are simply gorgeous birds.

Thank you whoever it was for the suggestion.

Was it @BGMatt ?

I can't remember who said to go to Kummer poultry, but I just spoke to Erhard, and next week I'll be getting a Russian Orloff hen to add to my flock. I'm really excited - they are simply gorgeous birds.

Was it @BGMatt
?

Might have been. I've been recommending him a lot lately. He's a good dude.

Thank-you, CarolynF! Very helpful. My 1st time flock is all from hatcheries (sold via local feed store). I think I'm still going to get their "Ameraucana" and just know that its an EE and what it will look like will be a mystery. =] I am looking into going to future shows to meet local breeders and learn more as I go along. I'll probably switch to local breeders for chicks in future years once I know more about what breeds I like and when I need to start growing my flock.

Hi everyone,I just wanted to start off by saying Hello! I'm new and live near Yakima Wa.I just found this thread.I was wondering if anyone knows what would be a good incubator that I wouldn't have to spend a hole lot.I had a little giant about 15 years ago and remember the temp was hard to maintain.maybe little giant has improved in the last 20 years! I would like an incubator that would maintain the temp. or auto a just.any ideas?thank you! I'm hoping to hatch some black copper marans next year if I can get some eggs.

Was it @BGMatt ?

Kate, I'm SO JEALOUS! I'd love to have one of his Mahogany Orloffs! I too have mentioned him several times here and elsewhere. I haven't had the opportunity to visit his farm yet but really want to. He was at the show Saturday but wasn't showing. Enjoy! And post pictures please!

Hi everyone,I just wanted to start off by saying Hello! I'm new and live near Yakima Wa.I just found this thread.I was wondering if anyone knows what would be a good incubator that I wouldn't have to spend a hole lot.I had a little giant about 15 years ago and remember the temp was hard to maintain.maybe little giant has improved in the last 20 years! I would like an incubator that would maintain the temp. or auto a just.any ideas?thank you! I'm hoping to hatch some black copper marans next year if I can get some eggs.

Hi There! Glad you found us.
frow.gif

I'm not a hatcher, but many others are so be sure to check back.

Welcome!

I can't help you with the incubator. I just got one a few months ago and within a week of getting it, a hen went broody and I prefer them take care of the eggs and chicks if possible. Four hens since January and another is thinking about it.

welcome-byc.gif
I'd help out with incubators, but ours is huge and it sounds like you are looking for something smallish. But glad to have you here anyway.

Kate, I'm SO JEALOUS! I'd love to have one of his Mahogany Orloffs! I too have mentioned him several times here and elsewhere. I haven't had the opportunity to visit his farm yet but really want to. He was at the show Saturday but wasn't showing. Enjoy! And post pictures please!

@CarolynF I'm getting a mottled one I think. I just don't like solid reds very much. But stunning birds. And, it's not a chick so I won't have to wait on eggs. With the beard, she'll go very well with my Ams. He was such a gentleman on the phone today. I'm looking forward to meeting him.

Well turns out shes not a barnevelder lol. Shes an ameracauna or something.. shes in that pic behind the lav orpington. I guess none of my birds are what I thought they were haha.

adrianapost...I can totally hook you up with a couple of Barnevelder chicks if you'd like! I think every flock should have at least one, but then, I am pretty partial to them, lol. How far are you from the Kitsap Peninsula? I've got two different ages of chicks now and more in the incubator. I'm serious, let me know!

DD

Back
Top Bottom