Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

TC:Got 6 more Muscovy babies freshly hatched today just for you !!!
ya.gif
So COOL! We have some in the 'bator, not due for 2 more weeks - fingers crossed! Is Einstein home for good now or what . . .?

Any hen with feces that loose needs to be wormed, and properly fed so she has a normal dropping.

Hopefully it isn't hummingbird water, (I have seen some people do that & it can give the birds bad runny do, so that was why I asked)

TC:Got 6 more Muscovy babies freshly hatched today just for you !!!
ya.gif
Every broody hen i've had shoots their poop out instead of getting off the nest all the way. No it's not hummingbird water it's water and food color. As i stated before my niece and nephew like to color the water.
All my chickens are vetted and are completely healthy.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a broody EE hen that was shooting poop. nastiest thing i've ever seen. She'd been wormed. She just was drinking a ton more than she was eating. After the eggs hatched and she started eating more normal, her poops got back to normal.

Exactly it's normal for chickens to do this when broody and she's only had her chicks now 3 days. It doesn't go away over night. And it doesn't mean they are unhealthy either it means they are broody and have been on their eggs for a while. although mine was on golfballs, still same effect due to being broody.

anyone know how long it takes a "polish" chick from idealpoultry to mature? he's about 10 weeks old i know he has a ways to go. but am hoping to have him with my hens once mature.
Right now the hens chase him around if i put him out with them.
Any ideas of what age he should mature at? I'd look up polish chickens to see but i know that this guy isn't really a polish, he just has the same feathering as them who knows what they cross to get it.

What kind of ducks did you get ?
Isn't spring fun !?!?     :ya
Cept' for the broody doody !
:gig

I got a silverhead Australian Spotted drake and a bluehead Australian Spotted hen. I have mostly greenheads so I want to raise more of the other colors. Of course my silverhead hen decided to sit on a nest so I have to decide if I want to take her eggs and hatch them myself so she can get to know the new silverhead drake I got for her or let her hatch her nest before she meets her new mate. I plan to keep the new pair quarantined and I also have a bluehead hen I want to group with the silverhead drake so maybe I will leave the silverhead hen on her nest. With a greenhead drake she should have a nest of blueheads and then there will be time to get silverheads out of her before the season ends.

Which Dels did you get your chicks from Sweetlilbaby? I got two Ameraucanas from Coastal in Auburn. They are doing well but they are the least friendly of the bunch. Now one of them is fighting all day long with the little Barred Rock pullet. They are barely 3 weeks old! I hope they figure out the pecking order and quit fighting before they're all grown up.
wink.png

I wanted to share some info to warn anyone that may be interested in purchasing chickens from a local seller. There's an ad on Seattle CL for "BBS English Orpingtons" in Covington. I sent my sister to pick up a new rooster for me yesterday because I was stuck at the oncologist. From what I was told by both sides she didn't really handle the rooster herself, the seller sent her daughter to get him and bring him to the car. I paid $20 for this guy.

First off, he was not what she had represented in the ad or her emails to me. I thought I was purchasing a "6mo old splash cockerel with beautiful clear white/gray plumage but was later told that she "sold the others and this was all she had left" but didn't bother telling me that. Hes was overloaded with Red Mites, lethargic and didn't try to fight me no matter where I touched or how I held him. He gorged himself on food after my sister fed him. hes severely underweight with a protruding breastbone that's rubbed raw. bald across his belly and missing most of the feathers on his chest as well and whats not missing is broken to stubs. Probably from trying to chew the mites away. His feet are the worst ive ever seen on any bird, It pained me to even see them because I know it must hurt.

When I emailed her about all of the issues with this birds, told her I was appalled and she should be ashamed for offering animals in such condition for sale let alone taking money for one. She wrote me back and insisted she had treated him with ivomec a week prior and shot him with penicillin for his feet, all of which was very apparently not true. She continued to tell me that his poor weight and feather condition was because he was the main rooster to 5 hens.

Anyone with any sense and knowledge of keeping chickens would know what nonsense all of the above is. Ive always used ivomec for my birds and any sign of bugs is gone by the following day in my experience, even in severe infestations. My previous rooster(recently lost to a very bold bobcat) managed 18 hens alone and was maybe even overweight, with only morning feedings and free range. My birds coop admittedly gets pretty muddy at times but I have never in my life seen a bird with such horrible bumble foot. It's disgusting.

I felt I HAD to share this because only God knows how many peoples flocks shes already put in harms way by selling these sick animals & I just don't want it to continue. I have filed a complaint with animal control regarding the situation.

These are the pics I took after I got home and saw the poor guy.
somad.gif
smack.gif

So exhausted he just buried his head in my arm to sleep.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom