Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

elizmartin

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
N.W. Washington
Hi Washington people! Do you have any recommendations on towns (rurals even better) that are good to move within an hour commuting distance of bellevue? Thanks!
From Bellevue, i would take some time driving in each direction at rush hour to get a better feel how far that may be…..I would try any promising direction several times as traffic is inconsistant. Then i would start looking…..I usually work in the Seattle area but live north between Marysville and Arlington. During rush hour it can take 55 minutes or so far up to 2 hours……I would also check out the closest feed stores and other important places like a decent grocery and hardware distance…..eliz

CarolynF

Songster
8 Years
May 11, 2011
Puget Sound
My Coop
My Coop
Quote: Excellent advice! There really isn't anyplace I would consider bad. Your budget will play a big part in the decision, too. Real estate prices vary quite a bit and depending on where you're coming from, you may experience some sticker shock. The "east side", as anything east of Lake Washington is often called, has some of the most expensive land in the area thanks to Microsoft. Good luck!

Remember too, that the further east you go heading into the foothills of the Cascades, the colder and wetter the climate. The town of Snoqualmie, for instance, is quite a bit different than Redmond.

AliceSaurus

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hi. I am new to chickens. So new that I don't have any yet. We are almost done with the coop and run. I want to start with girls that are almost ready to lay, rather than chicks. What is the most common way to find that age range? I would prefer to buy locally rather than from an online hatchery. Any recommendations in the Rochester area? I lean towards Orpingtons, Barred Rock, Easter Eggers, Australorp, maybe Welsummer. Just going to use for eggs and entertainment. :)

There is a poultry auction in Rochester every Saturday at 11. You can easily find it on Google. I know auctions are sort of sketchy to some folks so there is another option... This farm will have pullets available starting mid May: http://www.olyfarmstead.org/farm/chickens/

It's about a 30 minute drive from Rochester but worth it for what you need. Just email or call with questions. I know they have Ameracaunas and Barred Plymouth Rocks and a couple other breeds.

AliceSaurus

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hi. I am new to chickens. So new that I don't have any yet. We are almost done with the coop and run. I want to start with girls that are almost ready to lay, rather than chicks. What is the most common way to find that age range? I would prefer to buy locally rather than from an online hatchery. Any recommendations in the Rochester area? I lean towards Orpingtons, Barred Rock, Easter Eggers, Australorp, maybe Welsummer. Just going to use for eggs and entertainment. :)[/quote

I have no idea where my last post went so here is a summary.:

There is a poultry auction in Rochester every Saturday at 11 (Google it - registration starts at 9:30) but I have no idea how reliable they are. I never went.

There's a farm here in Olympia that sells pullets for $12 and they have Barred Rocks and Ameracaunas, among others. I would have bought from them if i hadn't decided to get chicks.

http://www.olyfarmstead.org/farm/chickens/

Coupleofzees

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Rochester, WA
There is a poultry auction in Rochester every Saturday at 11. You can easily find it on Google. I know auctions are sort of sketchy to some folks so there is another option... This farm will have pullets available starting mid May: http://www.olyfarmstead.org/farm/chickens/

It's about a 30 minute drive from Rochester but worth it for what you need. Just email or call with questions. I know they have Ameracaunas and Barred Plymouth Rocks and a couple other breeds.
Thank you AliceSaurus. That looks like a lovely farm! Will definitely check them out.

ochochicas

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Washington State
You do have to be careful with craigslist, but there are some good deals to be had as well.
I figured the hens we found on CL were deserving of a second chance, too.
They are awesome girls. I think they are some of the happiest chickens in the county now! Today they figured out the horses are very sloppy eaters. The chickens waited in the horse stall and ate the grain as it dropped out of the horse's mouth. I'll have to get a pic one of these days.

I also just picked up a 5 gallon water fount, a water heater, and 3 large feeders on CL for only $30. I figure it would have been about $150 to buy it all in a store.

elizmartin

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
N.W. Washington
Excellent advice! There really isn't anyplace I would consider bad. Your budget will play a big part in the decision, too. Real estate prices vary quite a bit and depending on where you're coming from, you may experience some sticker shock. The "east side", as anything east of Lake Washington is often called, has some of the most expensive land in the area thanks to Microsoft. Good luck!

Remember too, that the further east you go heading into the foothills of the Cascades, the colder and wetter the climate. The town of Snoqualmie, for instance, is quite a bit different than Redmond.
I would be wary too of areas that could be considered floodplain or prone to flood…..been alot of that lately….Best of Luck

LaurelC

Songster
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Bothell, WA
Silseb - I live in the Canyon Park area of Bothell, and commute to very south Kirkland/North Bellevue (just north of 520) every day for work. With no traffic, it's a 16 minute drive to the office, in the mornings, it takes me between 30 minutes and 1.5 hours, depending on whether it's rained, it's spring break, or if someone got in an accident. I have switched my schedule so that I start work at 7-7:30 instead of 8, just because that change easily drops 15-30 minutes off my commute (both to and from work). If you are looking for land, there are still small parcels in the Canyon Park area, but you'd have no problem finding something around Maltby or Woodinville. Your commute would probably be similar, but maybe a hair longer (I don't think you'll sit in 405 traffic on 522 until the very end). I work at a real estate company in an office that primarily deals in high-end properties, but we definitely have people that do stuff in the $3-500k range. If you'd like, I'd be happy to hook you up with a Windermere agent that knows the area. :)

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
Is anyone else having issues with their hens having a late Spring molt? I have 5 SS and 2 Wellies. ALL 5 of my SS molted in Sept/Oct as did one of my Wellies. My other Wellie started her molt in late Feb early March which is what she did last year too. They last 2 weeks I have noticed feathers in the run and out in the yard. 3 of my SS are going through a minor molt again. My SS's will be 3 in July and my Wellies will be 2 in three days. Does age have anything to do with it? I haven't changed their feed(Purina Layena ,16% protein) in 2 years and over the winter I fed scratch on top of their feed, they get table scraps as well. Should I add more protein to their diet? I am not sure what their deal is this year.

Chickielady

Spiritwood Farms
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Raymond, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hey CL is the house done yet????? Question for ya. My Mottled Java went broody yesterday. is 9 days too early to put chicks under her. she was broody in July 2012 and again last Sept. I put chicks under her after 20 days last time. One of the feeds store has the 3 breeds I want on the 25th of this month
Maybe...just have to stick them under her & see.
Be prepared to have to brood them yourself though should she turn on them.
I've seen hens kill babies they knew were not their own.
HOUSE is about done !

Latest posts

Top Bottom