Chickielady

Spiritwood Farms
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Raymond, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Wonderful Washington Chicken Friends!!
I'm typically more of a voyeur on this site as I'm new and soaking up all the wisdom you all share!! I just moved to washington and I'm restarting my chicks (I had to leave my last flock in Utah with a friend)! I got 5 lovely chicks last week, and 6 more tonite. One of my sweet little ameraucanas has a little cut on beak
of course other noticed and pecked, so we isolated her, attempted to put a styptic mix to cover the red color and turned down the lights. She seems ok, for now in the dark, but if anyone has a suggestion I would surely appreciate it!!!
Thanks!!
Lisa
Finally you posted !!!

Chickielady

Spiritwood Farms
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Raymond, WA
My Coop
My Coop
She was a stray, had been. Living under moms porch and around her coop for a couple weeks. The neighbor lady said she was new as well.
. Gotta get her fixed soon, she's acting like she's in heat and more kitties is the last thing we want!
Oooooooooo ! If you DO get kitties, PM ME I'll take at least 2 !!!

Chickielady

Spiritwood Farms
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Raymond, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Is anyone else having issues with their hens having a late Spring molt? I have 5 SS and 2 Wellies. ALL 5 of my SS molted in Sept/Oct as did one of my Wellies. My other Wellie started her molt in late Feb early March which is what she did last year too. They last 2 weeks I have noticed feathers in the run and out in the yard. 3 of my SS are going through a minor molt again. My SS's will be 3 in July and my Wellies will be 2 in three days. Does age have anything to do with it? I haven't changed their feed(Purina Layena ,16% protein) in 2 years and over the winter I fed scratch on top of their feed, they get table scraps as well. Should I add more protein to their diet? I am not sure what their deal is this year.
You do know they will have a juvenile molt and then molt again at about 1 year of age.
Their bodies get bigger & there just is not enough feathers to cover it all...LOL

None of mine are molting now.
New babies hatched in the spring will molt between September & October and the adults for some reason decide to have their molt as soon as it is really cold, like November-December.
poor chooks run around half bald in 20 degree weather.
And they do it year after year after year !
You may want to check your birds for mites, they may be pulling feathers to get at mites as the mites BITE.

Chickielady

Spiritwood Farms
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Raymond, WA
My Coop
My Coop
NEW COMPUTER !!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is soooo fast !!

I am used to 1/2 a gig of RAM and now I gots 18 WHOLE gigs...he he he.
I can even watch a video while surfing & posting BYC !!!!

WOW !!!

Chickielady

Spiritwood Farms
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Raymond, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Be wary of a place that thinks "Easter Eggers" is just a nickname for Ameraucanas. Looks like they just have hatchery junk.
The feed stores here offer Aracaunas....LOL......$3.99 each, a full dollar more than the RIR or Barred rocks.
Imagine that !

Last edited:

BGMatt

Songster
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
The feed stores here offer Aracaunas....LOL......$3.99 each, a full dollar more than the RIR or Barred rocks.
Imagine that !
They do that here too, drives me nuts. But then again the hatcheries do that to, so they are just passing on the mistake, the lackey at the feed store doesn't know any better. Even better is when the sell them as "Aracauna/Easter Egger/Americana/Ameraucana" (yes I have seen all four names on the same bin)

Top Bottom