Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Excellent advice! There really isn't anyplace I would consider bad. Your budget will play a big part in the decision, too. Real estate prices vary quite a bit and depending on where you're coming from, you may experience some sticker shock. The "east side", as anything east of Lake Washington is often called, has some of the most expensive land in the area thanks to Microsoft. Good luck!

Remember too, that the further east you go heading into the foothills of the Cascades, the colder and wetter the climate. The town of Snoqualmie, for instance, is quite a bit different than Redmond.
I would be wary too of areas that could be considered floodplain or prone to flood…..been alot of that lately….Best of Luck

Silseb - I live in the Canyon Park area of Bothell, and commute to very south Kirkland/North Bellevue (just north of 520) every day for work. With no traffic, it's a 16 minute drive to the office, in the mornings, it takes me between 30 minutes and 1.5 hours, depending on whether it's rained, it's spring break, or if someone got in an accident. I have switched my schedule so that I start work at 7-7:30 instead of 8, just because that change easily drops 15-30 minutes off my commute (both to and from work). If you are looking for land, there are still small parcels in the Canyon Park area, but you'd have no problem finding something around Maltby or Woodinville. Your commute would probably be similar, but maybe a hair longer (I don't think you'll sit in 405 traffic on 522 until the very end). I work at a real estate company in an office that primarily deals in high-end properties, but we definitely have people that do stuff in the $3-500k range. If you'd like, I'd be happy to hook you up with a Windermere agent that knows the area. :)

Is anyone else having issues with their hens having a late Spring molt? I have 5 SS and 2 Wellies. ALL 5 of my SS molted in Sept/Oct as did one of my Wellies. My other Wellie started her molt in late Feb early March which is what she did last year too. They last 2 weeks I have noticed feathers in the run and out in the yard. 3 of my SS are going through a minor molt again. My SS's will be 3 in July and my Wellies will be 2 in three days. Does age have anything to do with it? I haven't changed their feed(Purina Layena ,16% protein) in 2 years and over the winter I fed scratch on top of their feed, they get table scraps as well. Should I add more protein to their diet? I am not sure what their deal is this year.

Hey CL is the house done yet????? Question for ya. My Mottled Java went broody yesterday. is 9 days too early to put chicks under her. she was broody in July 2012 and again last Sept. I put chicks under her after 20 days last time. One of the feeds store has the 3 breeds I want on the 25th of this month
Maybe...just have to stick them under her & see.
Be prepared to have to brood them yourself though should she turn on them.
I've seen hens kill babies they knew were not their own.
HOUSE is about done !

Hello Wonderful Washington Chicken Friends!!
I'm typically more of a voyeur on this site as I'm new and soaking up all the wisdom you all share!! I just moved to washington and I'm restarting my chicks (I had to leave my last flock in Utah with a friend)! I got 5 lovely chicks last week, and 6 more tonite. One of my sweet little ameraucanas has a little cut on beak
sad.png
of course other noticed and pecked, so we isolated her, attempted to put a styptic mix to cover the red color and turned down the lights. She seems ok, for now in the dark, but if anyone has a suggestion I would surely appreciate it!!!
Thanks!!
Lisa
frow.gif
Finally you posted !!!

welcome-byc.gif

She was a stray, had been. Living under moms porch and around her coop for a couple weeks. The neighbor lady said she was new as well.
smile.png
. Gotta get her fixed soon, she's acting like she's in heat and more kitties is the last thing we want!
Oooooooooo ! If you DO get kitties, PM ME I'll take at least 2 !!!
ya.gif

Is anyone else having issues with their hens having a late Spring molt? I have 5 SS and 2 Wellies. ALL 5 of my SS molted in Sept/Oct as did one of my Wellies. My other Wellie started her molt in late Feb early March which is what she did last year too. They last 2 weeks I have noticed feathers in the run and out in the yard. 3 of my SS are going through a minor molt again. My SS's will be 3 in July and my Wellies will be 2 in three days. Does age have anything to do with it? I haven't changed their feed(Purina Layena ,16% protein) in 2 years and over the winter I fed scratch on top of their feed, they get table scraps as well. Should I add more protein to their diet? I am not sure what their deal is this year.
You do know they will have a juvenile molt and then molt again at about 1 year of age.
Their bodies get bigger & there just is not enough feathers to cover it all...LOL

None of mine are molting now.
New babies hatched in the spring will molt between September & October and the adults for some reason decide to have their molt as soon as it is really cold, like November-December.
poor chooks run around half bald in 20 degree weather.
And they do it year after year after year !
You may want to check your birds for mites, they may be pulling feathers to get at mites as the mites BITE.
idunno.gif

ep.gif
NEW COMPUTER !!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is soooo fast !!
wee.gif

I am used to 1/2 a gig of RAM and now I gots 18 WHOLE gigs...he he he.
I can even watch a video while surfing & posting BYC !!!!

WOW !!!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom