Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6483648/

Ayam Cemani. Your thoughts? Anyone actually seen one?
I don't like them and would never spend that kind of money on an animal, especially one that could drop dead at any moment or contract a variety of deadly diseases that have no known cure.

Some people have lots of extra money laying around I guess. Cream legbars used to be the latest fad that carried a large price tag. I've seen pairs recently selling for $40 - $60, which isn't much more than any other common breed. They do lay beautiful eggs though. :)

I have Cemanis and I love them. They are the quietest chicks I've ever had and the friedliest. When I put my hand into the brooder with my Orp chicks they all scatter, my Cemanis come running and jump on my hands and arms.

I have Cemanis and I love them. They are the quietest chicks I've ever had and the friedliest. When I put my hand into the brooder with my Orp chicks they all scatter, my Cemanis come running and jump on my hands and arms.

Pics or it didn't happen! Just kidding, but really I would love to see some pictures of them. How is their egg laying? Or are they too young to know yet? I wonder if the dark flesh is dominant or recessive.

Two of my hens are the friendliest birds i have ever had, one of them flies over the fence to land on my arm and nuzzle up to me - super friendly(see my profile pic that is her). Yesterday I figured out why my latest hatches haven't been as friendly. Apparently my neighbors children have been beating on the wire coops to intentionally scare the chickens! I came home to find all of the baby chicks scattered across the yard unable to get back to their mom.

Last edited:
Right now they're all chicks. The black skin and meat seems to be recessive. I have 7/8 pure cemanis and they don't have black skin. I have talked to someone who has a 3/4 rooster who has black skin though so I know it can happen.

Egg laying for Cemanis is more seasonal than "layer" breeds since they are a jungle fowl. At the moment I'm trying to get rid of all my hybrids to make room for purebreds I've got coming soon.

Right now they're all chicks. The black skin and meat seems to be recessive. I have 7/8 pure cemanis and they don't have black skin. I have talked to someone who has a 3/4 rooster who has black skin though so I know it can happen.

Egg laying for Cemanis is more seasonal than "layer" breeds since they are a jungle fowl. At the moment I'm trying to get rid of all my hybrids to make room for purebreds I've got coming soon.

I love my hybrids - I am breeding to the standard that I want instead of what someone else wants. But that is me, I know I am likely an odd one out but experimenting with the genetics is the fun part of having chickens for me!

Nothing wrong with that. That's how a lot of breeds start. Cemanis being so new to N. America don't have an official breed standard yet it's just pretty much accepted that they have to be solid black with black skin and tongue. I am keeping a trio of my hybrids to breed as a meat bird. Being gamefowl I've heard their meat is more like wild game than domestic chicken. Just an experiment.

Back
Top Bottom