Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My silkies didn't do the best, but I think even the older one was a month or two younger than I thought. She ended up with reserve variety.

I'm kicking myself for not washing up Louie and one of his older hens and taking them. They would have done well in the blue wheaten ameraucana.
I am glad I do not know, maybe...was there any Silver Cuckoo Marans ?

Well, that explains why I didn't see you yesterday! Glad you're getting some rest! I already sent you my address so we should be good?
thumbsup.gif

HI There, Bantam ??? Most of the Faverolles that were there were brought by Karen Carpenter. She lives in Burlington-(BYC, Sillie70). She has Bantam Salmon, Blue Salmon, Blue, Black, Splash. She also brought the splash Ameraucanas, several colors of De Anvers and some others and raises lots of bantam breeds especially colored silkies.

I had thought that Janelle had brought some Blue Barnies too????? Maybe was a hen?

The longtime breeder i was referring to is Erhard Weihs,( Kummer Poultry Farm-website and BYC), Enumclaw,He also raises bantam varieties of Barnie, Welsummer, and others…. as well as some of the few LF Mahogany Orloffs in the country. He was selling Barnie and leghorn eggs at the show…

.Royce Van Blaricome, Granite Falls, was showing both Barnie colors as well as Buckeye and Wheaton, Blue Wheaton Ameraucanas and ??? often on the BYC Barnie, and advertises in the Snohomish Co. Craig's list often.

Anyone remember what variety the big white rooster/cockerel was that was best or reserve variety????? LF Mediterranean? Before i left it had already been placed in the show row cage….he was pretty impressive….so was the New Hampshire.
Any LF pure white bird that WON is usually ALWAYS Jim Volk with his White Plymouth Rocks................always !!!!!!!!!!
he.gif

The buckets of rain didnt bother me. That nasty wind storm tried to rip the roof off the ameraucana pen. They aren't happy with my solution which was to attach a chunk of tarp to the front of the roof and slope it down. The tarp freaked them enough they slept inside their house instead of on the outside roosts they prefer. Usually they only do that in cold weather.
Kim what variety of Ams are you getting into ?

Rain + wind = no power at my house...always when I have eggs in the incubator. At least it was on again fairly quickly this time (only 3 hours).
I dug out my generater yesterday, and dollied it to the cabin where all the incubators & heat lamp pens are....and we never lost power this time.

yesss.gif

Last edited:
I seem to always lose power when I have eggs in the incubator too!
I've actually moved the incubators out to my suv and slept in there with the car running all night so I could keep them plugged into the power converter during bad storms. The things I do to save the eggs...
Oooooh be careful of that !
We did loose power here one frosty February....when we had the ice storm, what, 2 years ago ?

Apparently 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a picture of the very gate the mink went under, and the pen has heavy netting over it, and the snow , and despite my beating on the net (from underneath, and getting COVERED in snow) I finally gave up & went to bed.
Rob said his pens collapsed, since his nets are attached to the fence, and quite a few folks had incubators full of eggs, including Anna, who had babies hatching...and she put them in her chest pockets, and they hatched fine !
We lwt our big cabinet incubator sit....3 hours later we woke up & went to investigate.....netting was down in every pen to the point we could not open coops !
Good thing all the birds had food & water inside !
And when we started the generator...no lie......the power came back on.
All totaled: the power off in the incubator for 4 hours, temp was 67 degrees !
And on day 21, every baby hatched just fine.
Notice the netting sagging in the pen behind the van !!!
If you went in the gate you had to crawl to the coop door....
lol.png

The wood on the lower right corner, is the same place those Light Brahma hens were sitting in that previous photo.

The buckets of rain didnt bother me. That nasty wind storm tried to rip the roof off the ameraucana pen. They aren't happy with my solution which was to attach a chunk of tarp to the front of the roof and slope it down. The tarp freaked them enough they slept inside their house instead of on the outside roosts they prefer. Usually they only do that in cold weather.

Kim what variety of Ams are you getting into ?

I have bbs wheatens. Duke was NOT doing his job last year and I only got one hatched chick. I have Louie now who is doing his job. Eggs are cooking and more are waiting to be started.

Back
Top Bottom