Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi all, wondering what you think. I live on the Kitsap Peninsula where it's getting down to around 50 degrees at night. I have four 6-7 week old chicks, two being Wyandottes, and two being Silkies. I just moved them from the brooder to the run part of my outdoor coop using the "playpen" method, as they are joining three one year old hens. Will they be warm enough overnight out there? I will post a pic of the hutch they are in. There is a small sheltered area in it to keep wind out. Also, will the field mice that live around the coop leave them alone? Since the chicks will be stuck on the ground for a while, I want to make sure they won't be in danger. It would be very nice to not have to bring them in at night. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Hi there and Welcome to the Group!
frow.gif
I guess we're neighbors, that's cool.

Your little A-frame looks nice for the chicks. I'd suggest putting something over the open doorway at night to keep mice out. Other than that it should be plenty warm for them all cuddled up together in there!

Hi all, wondering what you think. I live on the Kitsap Peninsula where it's getting down to around 50 degrees at night. I have four 6-7 week old chicks, two being Wyandottes, and two being Silkies. I just moved them from the brooder to the run part of my outdoor coop using the "playpen" method, as they are joining three one year old hens. Will they be warm enough overnight out there? I will post a pic of the hutch they are in. There is a small sheltered area in it to keep wind out. Also, will the field mice that live around the coop leave them alone? Since the chicks will be stuck on the ground for a while, I want to make sure they won't be in danger. It would be very nice to not have to bring them in at night. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

at 6-7 weeks old they should be just fine in the weather. Mine usually start to roost around that time if they are in a pen with that option, but I broody raise my chicks.

Wow... what a turn around in her behavior! I let her back into the flock this morning and she's returned to being an upstanding member of the community again!!!!

When the Littles are near she pretty much ignores them. If they happen to be eating something she wants she'll chase them a few few steps, but that's it! She acts just like the other hens toward them. I'm SO happy! But the true test will be tonight, inside the coop. I'm holding my breath but I'm cautiosly optomistic.

It's been even more interesting watching the Littles react to her. They were definitely expecting her old behavior and were giving her a very wide berth. They're relaxing a little now, but still keeping an eye on her.

I am so surprised that this worked so well! It's hard to believe that she understands what the isolation was for. After all it's not like being able to explain it to her. It's very weird -- but I'll take it! Thank you to those of you that suggested it. I was very skeptical.

@Chickielady she was isolated in the dog house which I can fence off from the rest of the run.
thumbsup.gif
AWESOME Carolyn !!!!

There she goes bragging again!
lau.gif

hehehe.... just kidding!

I'm going to try hard to do that next time!!!
Me too !
The trouble is (with me here) is my hens all want to be broody in freakin' December or January...the low light levels must fuel their desire to huddle & raise a brood.
Come spring, not one wants to be broody !
Maybe I has to get me some silky girls ?
idunno.gif

Pics I took today:

brooder #1

The last babies to hatch, 1 week ago...

I have 3 brooders, each 2 weeks apart in age...these are the newest + a batch in the hatching bator, will be vaccinated Saturday for anyone who wants to drop by for a vaccine shot.

JUMBO Blueberries !

Crazy !!!!!!!!!!!

It's not like they are huge bushes yet...just 2 years old, Darrow Blueberries.

Hanging down, the chookies will eat them all !
Orchid, Oncidium:

Happy Happy Happy

German Giant radish (shumway):
http://www.rhshumway.com/dp.asp?pID=03365

They get huge & not pithy or stringy at all ! LOVE these radishes !!! Heck, one will feed a family of 4~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lau.gif

Last edited:
Hi there and Welcome to the Group!  :frow     I guess we're neighbors, that's cool. 

Your little A-frame looks nice for the chicks.  I'd suggest putting something over the open doorway at night to keep mice out.  Other than that it should be plenty warm for them all cuddled up together in there! 

at 6-7 weeks old they should be just fine in the weather. Mine usually start to roost around that time if they are in a pen with that option, but I broody raise my chicks. 

Awesome! Thank you Hinotori and CarolynF!

Back
Top Bottom