Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I am hogging the thread, but have to show you guys an awesome story~~~~~~~~~~

I bought hatching eggs from back east.EXPENSIVE EGGS!!!!

And they were wasted by the USPS................2 were bullseye cracked, as they clacked together...

2 were obliterated smashed to goo..................

2 had small hairline cracks...I tossed 3................
hit.gif

The air cells under candle rolled from top to bottom & back..leaving no doubt the air cell was completely detached on each one...IF the mebrane is still solid around the chick, it may still have a chance.

I was so upset by the mess, I stuck simple scotch tape over the 2 with the bullseye cracks....and put the rest air cell up in the incubator over night with the turner off.
The next day I turned the turner on & gave them 17 days............

After 17 days I tossed a few more that were obviously scrambled totally inside & had blood rings................................
sad.png
..and that left 5 to go into lockdown, they were dark inside, looked far too wet, and I did not want to turn them over (if there was a chick inside) so I did not check the air cells again...handling at this point is crucial, never handle eggs more than setting them, and locking them down.

I left the eggs in the hatching bator...already written them off.................it was sad.
sad.png

Then, I peeked in on pip day, the 30th.and there was 2 pips !
Even the scotch taped together egg had pips !

NO WAY>>>>>>>>NO FREAKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

They not only pipped right on schedule, they zipped right out, with their heads UP in the air cell.
This is why it is so crucial to incubate & lock them down air cell up & not to keep handling them. The babies can get lost if they are laid on their sides & the air cells roll UP, and the baby drowns as it goes to the large end of the egg.

So they all hatched, leaving one of the scotch taped eggs holding the baby in, and his wings flapping, I had to reach in & open his egg as the tape held his zip....so super awesome !!!

A scotch taped egg is right ,center, babies' wings are flapping out.LOL

A blurry/better shot of the taped guy flapping his wings !

See the scotch tape ?

The other scotch taped egg got out without help.
These 2 taped eggs had BAD bullseye cracks, like when a baseball hits a window...I am really impressed with scotch tape !
Normally I'd have melted wax, and maybe even tossing the 2 bad cracked aggs.

Cool Story, huh ?

Very cool!! Congratulations!

I haven't been on here in a while. Was out enjoying the beautiful day today. I had all my animals outside, including the tortoises. And a friend of mine started on my new coop. Here it is so far. When it is all done all can make new thread.

Back
Top Bottom