Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Well bought 6 ceramic eggs today trying to encourage laying in the boxes
not the floor
That's a good and kind of funny idea.
smile.png
Do they lay in a specific spot on the floor or wherever suits?

That's a good and kind of funny idea. :)  Do they lay in a specific spot on the floor or wherever suits?

Chickens like to lay their eggs with other eggs - safety in numbers perhaps. Using nest eggs encourages them to lay their eggs with the nest eggs (an egg will attract more eggs) but with chickens being the bird brains they are they will sometimes see a rock as a nest egg.

We have used golf balls and ping pong balls as nest eggs but I finally invested in the ceramic eggs because they look so real. In fact, my husband and daughter frequently bring them in with the eggs so I had to mark them and I still find myself washing them because they end up in the cartons when they collect eggs. Fortunately they don't make it to the fridge or the incubator because I can tell the difference.

Chickens like to lay their eggs with other eggs - safety in numbers perhaps. Using nest eggs encourages them to lay their eggs with the nest eggs (an egg will attract more eggs) but with chickens being the bird brains they are they will sometimes see a rock as a nest egg.

We have used golf balls and ping pong balls as nest eggs but I finally invested in the ceramic eggs because they look so real. In fact, my husband and daughter frequently bring them in with the eggs so I had to mark them and I still find myself washing them because they end up in the cartons when they collect eggs. Fortunately they don't make it to the fridge or the incubator because I can tell the difference.
well I bought the beige ones but put a very large dot on them
giggle was went back later actually opened the tub I made nest box
looked at the darn egg in it no dotit was my 5th one today
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I ended up getting some light brahmas from a guy in Lake Stevens. Our Brahma is sitting on 14 eggs.....soon we'll have to get her up though and make her poop! I live in. an unincorporated Snohomish County area. the rules are weird and inconsistent. Town says ok, county says not within 3O feet of dwelling or property lines....town is OK with but cautions against roosters. So for now, I'm keeping it simple.
I have been so in love with light brahmas all my life...I brought mine from out of state when I migrated from ID to WA to CA and then back here (after Grandma died) and I do love light brahmas still!

Samantha was in her dog house sleeping when I took this phot, when we first got here on bare land....and had to build coops & a hut fast...

I have a few rocks I have saved over the years, that look so much like an egg, and I usually use them if I have an egg-eating issue.
But for years now, no such egg eating has happened.

Still, I love agates !
I have not had any eating their eggs
bow.gif

With the Brahmas I had they laid all over the coop and chicken yard
so thought I might get a jump on this with the fake eggs as they seem
to ignore the golf balls at least my older ones.
they loved the dog crate so much but need to look inside the
crate from the floor or my knees that don't work
the rubbermade tubs are fitting the bill pretty well

Last edited:
I have not had any eating their eggs :bow
With the Brahmas I had they laid all over the coop and chicken yard
so thought I might get a jump on this with the fake eggs as they seem
to ignore the golf balls at least my older ones.
they loved the dog crate so much but need to look inside the
crate from the floor or my knees that don't work
the rubbermade tubs are fitting the bill pretty well

In the temporary enclosure I used around litter box. I could just lift the lid off and get the eggs. I've thought about putting it out in the yard in case one of the chickens didn't want to walk all the way back to the coop :) haven't decided yet. For now they seem to be going in the coop OK.

Back
Top Bottom