Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I tend to think this molt then they can act quite depressed and bummed
it is not a great time..
without hands on the bird and full blood workup I would not wish
to guess any further

Last edited:
I haven't had a bird acts like this when mulching. It's going to get very cold here next week and I'm a little worried. She doesn't have any reserves.

She will stay on the roost if I put her up there but she's not going up there herself anymore.
I think I'm going to keep the chickens in the run during the cold spell.

I haven't had a bird acts like this when mulching. It's going to get very cold here next week and I'm a little worried. She doesn't have any reserves.
I had to keep one of my hens inside for a few days to be sure she was getting enough to eat. When she molts she spends her time trying to hide from the flock, so she just wasn't eating enough. She still insists that I carry her to her roost each night, and she's almost done now after 2 months. Molting time is the only time she lets me pick her up.

This chicken has never been very tame. I got her as a started to pull it. So just the fact that she lets me carry her and she just stands there when I take her picture proves something.

This chicken has never been very tame. I got her as a started to pull it. So just the fact that she lets me carry her and she just stands there when I take her picture proves something.
Neither is my girl. They just feel so uncomfortable during molt that some actively avoid the flock, and it takes a ton of energy to grow in all those feathers. I have to keep a careful eye on a few of my molters. Avoiding the flock usually means avoiding the run, which is where the feed is.

Back
Top Bottom