Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

prod_759_29756.jpg

I took advantage of leaving work early to pick up 10 bags of play sand and spread it in the run just in time before I lost the sunlight. I bought more suntuf corregate but that will have to wait till I have help to put it up.

Originally Posted by Hinotori

Are all the chickens in this pen little like the Silkies? I'd really like to add some Silkies to our flock but have been told not to keep them w/LF.
If you raise them from chicks together they are fine. Adding them to a LF flock is not a good idea. They can be more fragile than most chickens and they tend to get picked on. You have to keep them dry and they get mites and lice easily. But they are so darned cute! I love them! But they should be kept in seperate coops if they haven't been raised together. JMHO
big_smile.png

I noticed somebody post pics of a kemell with tarp. IF anybody want to see how I made the roof on mine let me know. I have pics. It was so simple and has withstood 60 mph wind and 30" of snow!!!!

YES! I want to see. I know this won't last forever and I'm always looking for new ideas.

Quote:

Are all the chickens in this pen little like the Silkies? I'd really like to add some Silkies to our flock but have been told not to keep them w/LF.
If you raise them from chicks together they are fine. Adding them to a LF flock is not a good idea. They can be more fragile than most chickens and they tend to get picked on. You have to keep them dry and they get mites and lice easily. But they are so darned cute! I love them! But they should be kept in seperate coops if they haven't been raised together. JMHO
big_smile.png

Those are my juvenile EE chicks in there. I think they're 12 weeks now. I've raised all the birds I got as chicks with silkies so there is no issues for me. These silkies however prefer their own coop and run. We're going to be building them a new house soon. The hatchery silkies I had before roosted with the EEs and were fairly high in the pecking order. One was top bird until she went broody and spaztastic. The father of chicks is from a cross of a silkie rooster and EE hen.

Back
Top Bottom