Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

penny1960

Yippity do Da Yippity ay
Premium Feather Member
Dec 29, 2015
Mossyrock, WA
See we have set aside the coin money with idea to replace are old living room air conditioner that was one of Ma's they used so possible 20 years old ...
Heavy as get out .. we put it on office chair to move it in the winter ..
I hate that most everything you buy today you have to use a smart phone to activate ... :rantHow did that happen :he

Secondof9

Songster
Jun 20, 2018
SE of Seattle WA
Takes me 9 hours total but I made some Pacific crabapple jelly. Much of that time is cooking the apples down in water then straining in a jelly bag. Spent well over an hour picking them, then several hours removing stems. Only sugar added then boiled and jarred. It makes a very stiff jelly.

8 half pints all canned up. Mom gets one but the rest are ours. I don't like sharing because of how long it takes. View attachment 2343085 View attachment 2343086
Nice! I have one of these trees but haven't done anything with the fruit (didn't know how to process it). When I first bought the house I had to research what it was with the tiny fruit - it's new to me and I'm native Washingtonian. I love learning new things. Thanks.

Hinotori

Silver Feathers
Premium Feather Member
Apr 27, 2011
Graham, WA
There are 3 Pacific crabapples and one random regular apple along the fence with the neighbors at the end of our drive. Previous owner butchered all the trees. Like just chopped randomly at chest height. I've been pruning them every winter for the last 9 years and they look like trees again.

The guy also just cut down bulldozed a lot of the trees on the front of the property and constantly ran heavy equipment over it and went mudding. We don't have the flooding issues as much now as I've been careful and allowed plants to come back.

There are dozens of the little native crabapple trees along the stream now. They started fruiting last year so I'll have much more in the coming years.

Hinotori

Silver Feathers
Premium Feather Member
Apr 27, 2011
Graham, WA
Nice! I have one of these trees but haven't done anything with the fruit (didn't know how to process it). When I first bought the house I had to research what it was with the tiny fruit - it's new to me and I'm native Washingtonian. I love learning new things. Thanks.
It's a two ingredient ratio recipe. I had 9 cups of juice in my pot. It can turn out a bit stiff for a jelly.

Remove stems and simmer in enough water to cover. Mash fruit into water when soft. Drain in jelly bag.

1 cup of juice
3/4 cup sugar
Boil about 20 minutes.
Jar and proccess in waterbath.

Secondof9

Songster
Jun 20, 2018
SE of Seattle WA
It's a two ingredient ratio recipe. I had 9 cups of juice in my pot. It can turn out a bit stiff for a jelly.

Remove stems and simmer in enough water to cover. Mash fruit into water when soft. Drain in jelly bag.

1 cup of juice
3/4 cup sugar
Boil about 20 minutes.
Jar and proccess in waterbath.
Thanks! I didn't have much fruit this year for some reason, maybe next year.

Top Bottom