Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I'm trying so hard to not increase my total chicken numbers this Fall. I have at least one rooster I really need to re-home, and a couple more pending final decisions on who should stay. My main stumbling block is that incessant need to buy more hatching eggs :) Anyone looking for a free F1 olive egger rooster, let me know. I honestly don't care if he's eaten at this point (we are vegetarian, so we won't do that ourselves) but my 17 year old daughter hopes he will find a home. If she gets her way, we will have a bachelor flock over winter.

On the up side, the three young roosters in the silver laced barnevelder pen are sweet and docile and show no signs of getting into fights with one another. So far. I know spring could be a different story. One of them turned out to be a blue, and he's adorable, but I don't really know what to do with a blue in my breeding plans. The other two, there is a clear winner on looks, and a clear winner on personality, and sadly they are not the same guy. Only three hens in the group, but for now they are a perfectly happy group of six birds.

I'm trying so hard to not increase my total chicken numbers this Fall. I have at least one rooster I really need to re-home, and a couple more pending final decisions on who should stay. My main stumbling block is that incessant need to buy more hatching eggs :) Anyone looking for a free F1 olive egger rooster, let me know. I honestly don't care if he's eaten at this point (we are vegetarian, so we won't do that ourselves) but my 17 year old daughter hopes he will find a home. If she gets her way, we will have a bachelor flock over winter.

On the up side, the three young roosters in the silver laced barnevelder pen are sweet and docile and show no signs of getting into fights with one another. So far. I know spring could be a different story. One of them turned out to be a blue, and he's adorable, but I don't really know what to do with a blue in my breeding plans. The other two, there is a clear winner on looks, and a clear winner on personality, and sadly they are not the same guy. Only three hens in the group, but for now they are a perfectly happy group of six birds.

It's hard to home roosters so I can only wish the best of luck.

My teenage easter eggers are all turning into real jerks to people as well as hens so they will be going. I was going to keep one of them. That's out now. The calm little paint silkie cockerel will join Leven in protecting the laying flock instead since I had no one interested in him.

Back
Top Bottom