Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

556836_4693029936893_1739795887_n.jpg

The Silkie chicks have been moved to the large(3x4) brooder that I brought from the shed to the basement. My DW wants them inside, so she can hold them whenever she wants and not get cold.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I just called Pam Buck at Raincreek. Super personable, and helpful!

She says that if I get chicks from her, they would be two days old (being vaccinated) and it would be straight run (just learned what that means). How many chickens should I get with the best possibility of getting at least two females? Sorry boys, you'll be dinner. I doubt my neighbors would appreciate them.

Thanks!

Carolyn F and I just came from there this afternoon. She stood in the rain teaching us all about chickens and the pro's and con's of each one. A very nice person. They need our support if they are going to be able to serve us in the future so please buy from a local breeder. I almost brought home a EE rooster.

Hey everyone! I just called Pam Buck at Raincreek. Super personable, and helpful!

She says that if I get chicks from her, they would be two days old (being vaccinated) and it would be straight run (just learned what that means). How many chickens should I get with the best possibility of getting at least two females? Sorry boys, you'll be dinner. I doubt my neighbors would appreciate them.

Thanks!
One must ALWAYS get AT LEAST a dozen of any. see there may be some die. Some may be boyz and some may just need to go. OK so lets change that maybe 2 dozen. Welcome tto chicken math
lau.gif

from her own birds.

Thanks!

Laughing Feather and I were just at Raincreek this afternoon! So I'm really glad you called her. She spent at least an hour trudging around her farm in the rain with us, answering all our questions. She is definitely super nice. She has a pretty good set-up. Many of her breeding flocks are in roomy tractors that she moves to fresh grass daily. Some are in stationary pens and we saw a couple batches of young ones in a shed where they were quite crowded. Pam explained that they were a bit over populated at the moment. They'll be culling pretty soon. Many of their original birds came from Privet Hatchery but she's added heritage RIRs and stock from eggs from elsewhere working to improve the layers. The Barred Rocks she uses for black sex links are bred & hatched on-site as are most of her other birds now. We didn't handle any of her birds, but they seemed happy and healthy. She stressed that she's not breeding for show birds, but for good layers that are well behaved.

She's just started breeding Ginger Nut Rangers (a sex link) that are a REALLY pretty red bird with a dark read head and neck. Can't wait to see how they work out, she wants to see if they're going to be broody but otherwise has high hopes. They seem to have an excellent reputation as layers.

Today at 3:30, a man with an assault rifle walked into Clackams Town Center's food court and opened fire. At least 1 confirmed dead and several injured. Shooter has been neutralized. Prayers would be greatly appreciated.
Most recent I heard was shooter committed suicide 2 others dead and several injured. I have a friend who was in there. I know he is OK but nothing more. So sad.

556836_4693029936893_1739795887_n.jpg

The Silkie chicks have been moved to the large(3x4) brooder that I brought from the shed to the basement. My DW wants them inside, so she can hold them whenever she wants and not get cold.
Nice and SO HAPPY to see you have a proper and safe light fixture. Also if you put a dimmer on that then you will never need to change the height.

Back
Top Bottom