Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Wow, those are gorgeous!! Congrats!!
Aww, that was incredible. I put it on fb for a friend who lost a baby just over a yr ago. Made me think of her right away.
Thanks for sharing.
I've never heard of California Whites but you have my attention now! I'm going to have to look into these guys. I never thought I'd be interested in having chickens that lay white eggs but seeing pics of peoples brown, green, blue AND white eggs all together have me wanting just a few!
I think you will be happy with the Calif. whites. I had two but the coyote got one. the one I have left is very friendly and a good layer. my customers like having white and brown eggs with a green one thrown in once and a while. my white eggs are larger then the brown ones. My white layers (cal. white and white leghorns) out lay my brown layers!!!!!

Hey everyone! I've been looking up more breeds.

Q: Anyone have Australorps or have a strong opinion (one way or the other) about them?

I think I may start with BR and Black Stars. Australorps seem pretty difficult to get ahold of in WA...and they are HUGE!

As much as a I love EE's egg colour, I think I'll wait until I have kids. It may be a great way to get them involved and interested.

Q: Anyone have Australorps or have a strong opinion (one way or the other) about them?

I think I may start with BR and Black Stars. Australorps seem pretty difficult to get ahold of in WA...and they are HUGE!

As much as a I love EE's egg colour, I think I'll wait until I have kids. It may be a great way to get them involved and interested.
I have two Bl. Australorps. Because I have 23 hens that are capable of laying (8 are molting) I really don't know who is laying and who isn't of the others. I do see my Australorps in the nest boxes. They are suppose to be good winter layers! They aren't as friendly as some of my other girls. They aren't any bigger then my BR. my BEST all around girls for laying and friendliest are my two gold sex links .Anne & Oakley
yippiechickie.gif

My plan is to get 4 gold sex links, 4 Calif. whites and 2 Australorps in March or April then once they start to lay I will get rid of 5 or 6 of my older girls that will be 2 1/2 - 3 yrs old. might go with 3 ea. of the gold & Calif. chicks and add a couple welsumers not sure yet

Hi,
I have 11 Australorp pullets and a roo. I love them they are very gentle and a little shy. They are very easy to raise. They are just starting to lay. My birds are from a hatchery but I am starting to work on my line I will be adding new blood this spring. I also have a BR that lays a nice large brown egg,she has laid a egg everyday in Dec. She follows us around the yard every time we are in the yard.
thumbsup.gif

What are the most high production brown egg layers you guys know of, that also aren't ornery like most RIRs? I like them to be social with me, but I also want as many eggs as possible. I'm just thinking ahead for springtime and hoping for a broody and hatching eggs or baby chicks to slip under her. Once we retrofit the coop I can easily see a mama hen being able to brood a few chicks to add to our flock that way
lol.png

I have a black australorp. She's ok. Lays a brown egg almost every single day...probably 6/7 days a week. She lets me pet her but hates being held for long; she's SUPER soft and the black feathers have a beautiful green tint to them! I recommend them for sure.

What are the most high production brown egg layers you guys know of, that also aren't ornery like most RIRs? I like them to be social with me, but I also want as many eggs as possible. I'm just thinking ahead for springtime and hoping for a broody and hatching eggs or baby chicks to slip under her. Once we retrofit the coop I can easily see a mama hen being able to brood a few chicks to add to our flock that way
lol.png
My red sex link (Red Star) is a super reliable brown egg layer AND super sweet. Her eggs are so consistent~ same color, same size, generally 6 a week, occasionally 5.

Last edited:
Cool thanks! I'm looking in my ***10*** chicken books right now for chickens who are good layers. Duh. I forgot I had my own chicken library
th.gif

Of the breed I see that I might actually WANT, I think the following would be good spring chick additions if someone goes broody. Praying someone goes broody! LOL But now that I've thought about it, I'm going to stick to my brown eggs, I don't want white egg layers even though they're typically better layers.
Barred Rocks (6 eggs a week)
Silver Laced Wyandottes (5-6 eggs a week)

I was ALL about wanting some Faverolles in the springtime, but now I don't think that will be a good idea. My girls are aggressive, and I think they'd really pick on Fav chicks as soon as the mama loses interest in them. I want something that will stick up for itself.

Cool thanks! I'm looking in my ***10*** chicken books right now for chickens who are good layers. Duh. I forgot I had my own chicken library
th.gif

Of the breed I see that I might actually WANT, I think the following would be good spring chick additions if someone goes broody. Praying someone goes broody! LOL But now that I've thought about it, I'm going to stick to my brown eggs, I don't want white egg layers even though they're typically better layers.
Barred Rocks (6 eggs a week)
Silver Laced Wyandottes (5-6 eggs a week)

I was ALL about wanting some Faverolles in the springtime, but now I don't think that will be a good idea. My girls are aggressive, and I think they'd really pick on Fav chicks as soon as the mama loses interest in them. I want something that will stick up for itself.

My Golden Sex-link is a sweetie. Real curious and friendly. She is alpha of the sub flock of 3. She hasn't started laying yet, but at 13 weeks she is starting to develop her comb and wattles(still pink though, not red). I am guessing the first egg from her will be right after New Year. Although she will burn out faster than my non-hybrid girls(2-3years and then done)

Back
Top Bottom