Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I did finally get Mom's wheat and gum free baking powder biscuit recipe.

1 1/2 C glutinous rice flour
1/2 C sweet potato flour
1/2 C tapioca flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
2 tsp sugar
1/2 C butter
1/2 to 2/3 C milk
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients together. Cut butter into dry ingredients. Add eggs. Add 1/2 cup milk (more if needed to reach consistency) and mix to make a soft dough. Kneed it as little as possible. Pat or roll out to desired thickness and cut out biscuits. Any of the flours can be used to flour the board.

Place on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake at 450* for 10-12 minutes.

I too would like to buy from local breeders & farmers. But the problem is, I don't know of anyone in Washington that raises Sex links or California whites.

Calif. whites DON'T seem to be too popular on BYC. BUT I highly recommend them. They are great layers of a big white egg (5-6 a week) and very very friendly. Mine wants to come in the house all the time.

Any body raise or know of anyone that raises Sex links in Washington??? Monroe feed will have Both sex links & California whites in the spring

In Port Orchard (Rain Creek) there is a small breeder that does sex links. LaughingFeather and I are going out there for a visit tomorrow. They have a good reputation locally.

So.... I'd like to hear back from others.... If you were to visit a breeder how would you evaluate them? What specifics would you look for? What specific questions would you ask, and what answers would you expect to hear from a quality operation? I know that for Gold Stars they cross Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. (The offspring are also referred to as Hubbards).

Quote:
When I went to Marge's house, I looked at her breeding pens. Made sure they were "clean", relatively speaking. The birds are clean and seem to be doing normal chicken activities(no one off in a corner looking ill). I got to see her brooder set up and sorting system(by age, not color). Inspect the birds you are taking. The breeder should allow you to pick which ones you want.

Well Ron see you have answered yer own Question about Cali white. They lay them ol'e NASTY WHITE EGGS like the sell in the store !!!!
tongue2.gif
How ya been my friend ?
CR
Been doing good thanks! Getting ready to change jobs at work. NO MORE 1:00am stuff. will be working more early morning like 4:00am or 6:00am. will never know for sure. I love 4:00am
love.gif

Yep, you better stay away from the Calif. whites. You'll be flooded with eggs!
D.gif

Last edited:
CarolynF
My DW is from Port Orchard. Yes I do remember there was a small breeder there. Please keep me posted on how your visit went. Thanks

FirewifeJess

No I don't sell hatching eggs or chicks. I haven't kept a rooster long enough for him to do his job!. when one of my girls go broody I get fertile eggs from Tamara.

So since I have a covered run, during the middle of a hot streak in the summer, I should be able to force the gals to sleep in the predator proof covered run on the roost they already have and not upset them too much right? While I paint?

Jessie. At 70 out you can paint in the morning have fans on what you paint move them around if needed your paint will dry fine.
You can take a hair dryer if you get worried in the corners if while brushing you get blobs in-between the corner wood.
Fans will do the trick. Works every time.

I've painted in the afternoon before.
Just need good air movement to speed up drying process.
Chickens always in the coop by night.

Last edited:
Jessie. At 70 out you can paint in the morning have fans on what you paint move them around if needed your paint will dry fine.
You can take a hair dryer if you get worried in the corners if while brushing you get blobs in-between the corner wood.
Fans will do the trick. Works every time.

I've painted in the afternoon before.
Just need good air movement to speed up drying process.
Chickens always in the coop by night.

Thanks Greg, that helps! I'm trying my best to plan ahead well, to make future cleanings much easier. What about the cleaning too? Can I wake up early and hose the thing out, scrape off all the crap from the plywood and roosts, dry with towels, dry all the way with fans, and still paint in one day? I really hope to take 2 days for this but with enough help or heck, even enough encouragement, I could probably do it all in one day. If chickens sleep in trees though, they're bound to be fine on a covered roost outside for one night though I'm sure.

I hope to find a spray painter I can borrow for the job before next summer too. That would make this all infinitely easier for sure!

Back
Top Bottom