Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hey ChickAudie! My DD is a junior at WSU majoring in Hospitality Business Management. Her wish is to work in management at good hotels. One of the hotels offering her a paid internship this summer is the Wesley Inn in Gig Harbor. They asked her to come home early for spring break because they are having a WEDDING EXPO at the hotel on Sunday and want her to job shadow a couple of the ladies working there.
Lily says the cool thing about this particular hotel is that it's all managed and run by women.

"Prospective brides, grooms, and family are welcome to tour
the Best Western Plus Wesley Inn & Suites Open House.
Taste gourmet food from top local caterer
Le Garmache.
Meet executive wedding planner Gina Lillie of
A Greater Plan
Wedding & Events Consulting.

Get a chance to see what your day could look like
inside the decorated Brookeside Ballroom."

Since you live in Tacoma, I wanted you to have this information in case you're interested in going.
Here's the link!
http://www.wesleyinn.com/index.php/TheWesleyInn/Events/

big_smile.png
I used to work there in high school. Housekeeping
hmm.png
but it was a job! I remember the lead housekeepers getting excited about cleaning the jacuzzi suites because the Nelson Brothers stayed there....
roll.png
At least I got the easy rooms that day, LOL! It is a nice hotel, DFH and I stayed in the big jacuzzi suite for my birthday one year. Cassie was the lead housekeeper, very nice, and while the owner TRIED to be nice, nobody ever wanted to be in a room alone with her...

I am not going to any expos or events, they always turn out to be more of a hassle than they're worth. I have a general idea of how to plan this whole event, if it ain't perfect, who cares? Besides, I have Pinterest (you can click to see my board!) to help me!

I am new to Backyard Chickens and trying to figure it all out...lol But so glad I found a local thread to check out! I am getting ready to breed some bantams and Salmon Faverolles. And of course the normal barnyard mix. I have several variety of hens and one big Faverolle rooster and of course my lil banty roos. I am also hoping to breed India Blue Peafowl this summer, Guine Fowl, Giant Pekin ducks, and African Toulouse Geese. Going to be a very busy summer!! Lots of babies!!

OH! I love this picture!!! They look like real natural chickens!

Quote:
That is an amazing skill!! My step-dad was a potter and woodworker in college, he did some great pieces. You should share pics!

I am all for chaining children for slave labor
lau.gif

Quote:
2207495-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
Found my shoes. I'll need a pedicure.

Ooooooooh! Purdy! They will be easy to walk in!

I've tried this a couple of times today on my iPad with horrible results, so let's see if I can manage better this time. I wanted to share some pics of the new chics. The AMs are 10 days old, the gold star is 12 days and she's the friendliest.

I built them a mini feeder along the lines of what the big girls have. There are 2 small holes at the bottom of the container to let the feed fall into the tray. It works pretty well but they still manage to kick a lot of it onto the floor and mix it with poop! (eta: It sits up on a thick piece of granite, not flat on the floor) What type feeder do you all think is best for chicks?

(click these pics to enlarge)

The gold star really likes this feeder!

Seriously, she REALLY REALLY likes it!
So much so, she sleeps up there....

The Ameraucanas prefer to sleep in my hands
love.gif

The towel is just my "spackle" guard :)
I'm having SO much fun with these little tiny birds!

LOVE the last pic of your baby chickie asleep in your hand. SHe looks so comfy and loved
love.gif

Quote:
I need to know what this S-n-S Roadkill is too!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FM. Where in Duvall is the property you looking at?
Make sure you look at the property taxes.
If it isn't already look into getting it at least partially qualified for agriculture.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Otherwise you'll eventually be taxed out of your home like so many around here have been.
Very sad when I go do work at someones home they are getting ready to sell cause they can't afford the property taxes anymore so they have to sell. They buy the place years ago never dreaming this would happen to them.
[/FONT]

Good advise Greg!
goodpost.gif

About this thread: I LOVE it here. I've never felt anything but love and support here. And a whole lot of enabling. I very much enjoy the different personalities here, and the fact that there's a lot to read. I hate slow threads. I'm like...c'mon, somebody just POST SOMETHING! when it's slow. NOT HERE! I'm going to be sorely put out and upset (I won't actually tell y'all when it happens but I know I'll cry about not living here and communing with my WA peeps anymore) if we move to MD. Their thread is slow.
hide.gif

There's no travel required for visiting the Washingtonian thread!

One of the chicks flew out of the Rubbermaid tub this morning so I moved them up to the Chick Corral. I made them a perch from a stick and after an hour or so they started to check it out.

The one of the far end is actually sleeping draped over it, with her beak resting on the floor.

I moved it a little closer to the heat lamp and they all got on except 2nd from right who is resting her head on it.

That is stinkin' adorable.

Quote:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If it isn't already look into getting it at least partially qualified for agriculture.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Otherwise you'll eventually be taxed out of your home like so many around here have been.
Very sad when I go do work at someones home they are getting ready to sell cause they can't afford the property taxes anymore so they have to sell. They buy the place years ago never dreaming this would happen to them.
[/FONT]

Oh really? We are also contemplating buying a larger piece of property. Is this happening on the Seattle side only or all over? I would like to hear more on this please. Zillow shows so many up for sale. It would be nice where to look first. Also, so many of the pieces of property I see seems to have a creek running through it or near rivers. I have been gone so long and live on top of a hill to begin with. Any warnings on these? Real trouble spots? Do the small creeks turn into raging torrents? I grew up on a high bank creek and in 1963 while watching the rain from the dining room window during a flood our patio and 18 oak trees turned up on end and our patio and trees where gone and I had rushing water under me. The house hung over the creek now by 5 feet where I stood. The fear I felt at age 13 I will never forget. People came from all over the neighborhood when they heard of what was happening and stripped our house of any belongings and put it in the neighbors yard. The home did not go but was totally undercut by 5 ft. and a 20 ft. wall down to the creek. They came in and gave us 10 ft. of back yard and a boulder and cement retaining wall which my folks had to pay a lot for. I have learned that a little lazy stream can be a killer.

SCARY!!!

Ok, I just found out there are quilters in BYC. That being said, I'm wondering how many of you in the WA thread are also quilters? I started sewing/quilting just over 2 years ago and LOVE it. I started a business sewing bags and knitting dish cloths.

Anyone interested in a quilt block swap?

Oh, my mom's a quilter, she does wonderful! Just takes a few years to finish one, but ALWAYS worth it!

Oooh sewing! Im excited ro learn more about it! My lovely fiance bought me a old treadle sewing machine that i have wanted forever!!

My dad converted one to electric for me. I had never sewn so much before! I loved using it, and that I could leave it out! I hate putting all my sewing stuff away when I'm done, so I never get it out anymore
hide.gif
ENJOY!

yuckyuck.gif

Quote: Congrats Bikerchicky!!! From your picture, you look pretty little anyway, so 13 is a lot on small framed women! I am slowly transitioning, mostly eating salad (sans crutons) fruit and nuts, then chicken or fish for dinner. This morning, I made an egg-salad for breakfast, so bread & mayo there, meh...although, I did use a lot less than normal and I love mustard, so made it with mostly that.

Quote:
bow.gif
RainMom, you are my hero! I have gotten almond flour at Top, they have a lot of Full Circle items.

Quote:
YES YOU ARE!!!!

had to log back in to post this- dragon fly yard ornament alert- Everett peeps, here;' your chance!
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/zip/3666691397.html

oh- and if you need a really gorgeous roof on your 3000 sq foot chicken coop- here;s your chance for that too- heck of a deal here!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/zip/3666646182.html

spanish tile roof would be gorgeous, dontcha think? stucco the walls? hmmmm....

NOW I AM REALLY GOING TO BED

OMGoshhhhhhhhh!!!! Why is it that nobody supports my hoarding? I would totally pick those up if I could put them somewhere!!!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
NICE!! Love the screen idea!

There was a sudden thunder/hail storm while we were on the lake yesterday. It was crazy and kind of awesome.

We also poked a dead frog.

OK, I'm in love with the pic of your DD poking the frog.

GOOD FRIDAY MORNING TO EVERYONE!!!

Quote: Jess you can move to Istanbul, but you better still be on here! That's an orde... errmm a request!
big_smile.png

WWTPTD! lol...

Hope everyone has had a decent week, there's no way I can catch up with the 309 posts since my last visit, but I miss being on here. To all those who've lost their babies recently my heart and thoughts are with you. Big hugs!
hugs.gif
I'm going to try my darndest to go the the Monroe show, but tax season prevails, hopefully, I won't have to work that Saturday. You know you're brain dead when you're listening to Britney Spears all day at work and enjoying it! lol...

MikeyB-your wood shop sounds amazing!

And to all the new Washingtonian thread followers/contributers:
welcome-byc.gif

Have a great day everyone!

GOOD MORNING!!!! Happy Friday to you too! The IRS just plain sucks. We got a letter in the mail saying that my DFH was a victim of ID theft because we moved. Still haven't gotten his refund!!! I was talking to a man yesterday that said 5 of his friends and family are getting audited this year. And yet, people are still losing their homes to forclosure. I wish they would focus on other things!

Quote: X2!

Jess.... I switched the tray on my mini chick feeder to a small pie pan. It's working GREAT! Thanks for the suggestion! The little Gold Star can still get up on top, but not as often.
It's hilarious to see them try to scratch in there when their little legs are just too short.
lau.gif

Really cute dress! I love the colors! Lucky little girl.

Did I tell you all I got a BIG dog house free from CL? Yep, a great deal and the top lifts off to make it easy to get inside to clean, and easier to move too. It's 3' wide by 4' long and 4' tall.
So today with the sun out I'm going to clean it out really well and get it set up for these 4 chicks when they go outdoors eventually. DH has been considering how to put a secure door on it. I know it won't be in use all that long, but I want the little GIRLS (I'm willing ALL 4 to be girls) to have a snug home until they join the adults. It would also be great any time I need a quarantine area.
That combined with a similar size dog kennel seems like a good thing.
My DH keeps asking WHY / WHEN / HOW COME questions that I can't answer yet!
barnie.gif
I don't know when they'll be too big for the tub they're in. Don't know where I'll put the dog kennel for their next stage, probably the garage. But don't they need daylight -- that always concerns me, keeping them in a garage or shed all the time.
hmm.png
Don't know exactly when they'll go outside and how the kennel/dog house/open area will be configured. Can't think that far ahead. Guess I'll just handle it when the time comes. Right?

Suggestions are welcome!

You generally want 1 sqft of space per chick in the brooder. I had to move mine to the kennel in a matter of a week or two. Then they are grown out of that and went to the old coal room in our basement. I do feel so bad for them down there, it's so dark! But they seemed to be happy with the bugs, and I seem to be happy they are eating them! Coop should be buttoned up this weekend, we have to figure out the run still.

It is the QA show that is the same day as the chicken show in Monroe.

also, here is a simple quilt block that could be a nice starter block for a chicken quilt for all of us who might be interested.

B-E-A-U-tiful!

It is the QA show that is the same day as the chicken show in Monroe.

also, here is a simple quilt block that could be a nice starter block for a chicken quilt for all of us who might be interested.
I love the idea of a chicken quilt. I was thinking that people could choose to do a block with a chicken in it or use fabric with chickens in their block. Either way it becomes a WA chicken quilt.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies the most. Oh yeah, and snickerdoodles. Oh, did I mention that even my in-law (who live in Poulsbo) are trying to help me stay gluten free? They have bought crackers for me and get things like Cheetos (no wheat) for snacks. I LOVE my in-laws.

Yes, people Poulsbo are nice. Oh, did I tell you that I live in Poulsbo.
gig.gif

Kathy

I have the hovabator genesis 1588 incubator, it has forced air and has preset thermasat, with an automatic egg turner. Absolutely love it, nothing easier. It has a reservoir like the little giants in the bottom. It needs to be in a warm stable room though.

Has anyone ever heard about setting eggs to hatch during a waxing moon? If I'm reading this correctly since I set my eggs last Sunday, with Monday being the first day and the moon was in it's last quarter, then they would be due to hatch on Monday, March 25th when the moon is at 97%! I think that indicates a successful hatch and healthy chicks. It could be folklore but this may be my first experiment to test this theory! There's actually quite a bit of information available about activities during phases of the moon - gardening is another big one.

The phases of the moon for March 2013 -
http://www.almanac.com/moon/calendar/WA/Tacoma/2013-03

From the American Buckeye club -
For decades we have heard old-timers talk about setting eggs during a NEW moon
phase so they hatch during a waxing moon phase....we put this theory to the test
in 2009! According to the "legend" chicks born under the signs of cancer,
scorpio and pisces are healthier, stronger and mature faster. If your a big
follower of the "Old Farmers Almanac" you obviously have heard this as well.

So here are our results for 2009 compared to 2008 hatches;

1.) 25% higher hatch rates as a result of setting eggs during NEW moon
2.) 6 weeks old chicks had greater weight gains, nearly 10% on the same feed as
last year!
3.) Fewer deaths during pipping, nearly all pipped chicks hatched in 2009 while
2008 had 2% mortality during pipping (weaker chicks).
4.) Chicks feathered almost completely at 4 weeks of age rather than 6 weeks of
age in 2007 & 2008.
5.) Chicks hatched closer to day 21 and hatches were not as drawn out like
previous seasons. 2007 & 2008 records show hatches beginning as early as day 19
and as late as day 23 but in 2009 most chicks hatched on day 21 (a few on day 20
but seldom on day 22)!

So what does this mean? We have decided ALL chicks will hatch during the Waxing
Moon (set on the day of the New Moon) at Crains Run Ranch in the future! Maybe
those old-timers knew what they were talking about?!?! LOL

Jeff Lay
The American Buckeye Club

http://www.americanbuckeyeclub.org

Back
Top Bottom