Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:
I need to know what this S-n-S Roadkill is too!

Sorry that is Secret. You will just have to wait and see.
It's good! I promise!
thumbsup.gif

Carolyn- glad the pie tin is working better! Where are you locate again? I'm on my phone and can't tell; I have extra chick feeders if you want one for free.
You're sweet, but I'm good now so no worries. I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula.

Yep we can do together Rob, I have a Cub Cadet rototiller that works really, really well. Need to get it fired up, haven't started it in over a year but it has less then 10 hrs of use and the gas was drained before I put it away. So a new plug, some primer pulls, and fresh gas should do the trick I'm thinking.
As for the boxes, heck yeah. I have everything we need except the fence boards which I'll try and get today.
AGAIN....DANG you live way too far away! Our tiller gave out totally last year. We have such a small area that needs tilling this year DH may just rent one. That area hasn't been used before and it used to be part of a road bed I understand. So hand tilling will be a lot of work. Home Depot rents them and I'm thinking it would be a good choice.

Great link! I too grew up the old fashioned way. In England, we lived near a dairy of Guernseys, and had milk delivered every day. FRESH! Last time I was home, (14 years ago) my folks still had it delivered fresh daily!
Will they adopt me????
droolin.gif

Quote:
I need to know what this S-n-S Roadkill is too!

Sorry that is Secret. You will just have to wait and see.
It's good! I promise!
thumbsup.gif

Awe! Dang it! I know I can't get to the potluck, I'm not even going to pretend we have a social life. We have so many "projects" that there would be no wiggle room for a trip to Monroe for the WFF.
sad.png

Updates on my new pen..... I want to be able to leave the coop open all the time so I am putting the extra effort into making it predator-proof....

So far I have 'pruned' the oak tree, cleared the junk from my 15'x20' space, dug the perimeter ditch, put down fencing..... Which is 1" chicken wire round three sides, and leftover fencing/mesh on the fourth. Then filled the ditch with big rocks, old bricks/cement.... Cleaned the yard of it all ;-).... And the buried the rocks with the dirt I dug up originally :-D

Now all I need is for dh to fix my kennel panels, and next Tuesday I have a work party set for chicken moving day :)!!

With rocks....

Rocks buried....

Sarah.... I totally agree with you. I like having my pen secure so the pop door can be left open all the time. It gives you the freedom to be away from home, knowing they are safe. And you don't have to worry about getting up to open their door, nor worry about an automatic door working right.

I believe the buried wire is to prevent animals like dogs, coyotes, and racoons from digging into the pen. So I have a couple of questions for you.
1) Is chicken wire stout enough to withstand their strength? I've always been told that chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in, not for keeping anything out.
2) Is the buried wire attached to the vertical portion of the fence? If there is a gap between the bottom of the fence and the layer of wire an animal will still be able to get in. The underground wire should be bent and brought up a few inches and attached securely every few inches.

Please excuse me if I missed something, I don't want to offend. I just thought it would be better to speak up in case it was something that hadn't been considered.

- Carolyn

He is very sweet looking, I think I see heeler in him myself, blue, would give you the spots, prick ears, and rounded foot pads.JMO
frow.gif

Australian shepherds have that blue ticking. They have pretty much same markings as a heeler. The male they said is the father was a blue merle Australian shepherd. What are prick ears?

Plus his eyes are that baby blue color. I've only seen those in Australian shepherds. I can't get a good picture of his eyes, the camera turns them red LOL

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard about setting eggs to hatch during a waxing moon? If I'm reading this correctly since I set my eggs last Sunday, with Monday being the first day and the moon was in it's last quarter, then they would be due to hatch on Monday, March 25th when the moon is at 97%! I think that indicates a successful hatch and healthy chicks. It could be folklore but this may be my first experiment to test this theory! There's actually quite a bit of information available about activities during phases of the moon - gardening is another big one.

The phases of the moon for March 2013 -
http://www.almanac.com/moon/calendar/WA/Tacoma/2013-03

From the American Buckeye club -
For decades we have heard old-timers talk about setting eggs during a NEW moon
phase so they hatch during a waxing moon phase....we put this theory to the test
in 2009! According to the "legend" chicks born under the signs of cancer,
scorpio and pisces are healthier, stronger and mature faster. If your a big
follower of the "Old Farmers Almanac" you obviously have heard this as well.

So here are our results for 2009 compared to 2008 hatches;

1.) 25% higher hatch rates as a result of setting eggs during NEW moon
2.) 6 weeks old chicks had greater weight gains, nearly 10% on the same feed as
last year!
3.) Fewer deaths during pipping, nearly all pipped chicks hatched in 2009 while
2008 had 2% mortality during pipping (weaker chicks).
4.) Chicks feathered almost completely at 4 weeks of age rather than 6 weeks of
age in 2007 & 2008.
5.) Chicks hatched closer to day 21 and hatches were not as drawn out like
previous seasons. 2007 & 2008 records show hatches beginning as early as day 19
and as late as day 23 but in 2009 most chicks hatched on day 21 (a few on day 20
but seldom on day 22)!

So what does this mean? We have decided ALL chicks will hatch during the Waxing
Moon (set on the day of the New Moon) at Crains Run Ranch in the future! Maybe
those old-timers knew what they were talking about?!?! LOL

Jeff Lay
The American Buckeye Club

http://www.americanbuckeyeclub.org

I Love this old time stuff!
old.gif

Let us know how your experiment turns out, and thanks for sharing it!

Really hopes my pup isn't heeler. Because they are small. I want him to be tall enough for me to use as counter balance. I'm 5'4" so my doctor said the dog needs to be at least 22" tall at the shoulder. My vet agreed. I got opinions from both because I wouldn't want to injure a dog.
I love his blue eyes though. All my dogs in the past had brown eyes.

Back
Top Bottom