Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I enjoyed seeing the birds yesterday, forgot to take my meds and I'm now paying for it. I paid some yesterday but not like now.
DR in law is still in the hospital tomorrow she will start week 32 .

Rhiannon did you get some silkies ? I SO wanted some buffs but am waiting for my girls to lay and get some eggs. They are at my friends place maybe they will lay for her.

We went to the quilt show also, I so hope to be able to make pretty things like that.

Hello Washingtonians!!!! I live here in Walla Walla kinda new to this thought i'd try and meet some people here to help out along the way. the grandson and I have built a new coop. I will be posting picks after we get it painted. Very excited to be able to talk with people doing the same thing as I.
One thing I am haveing some problems with is finding some straw, dont know to many people , just wondering if any of you out there might be able to help me in finding some...thanks again for adding me to your group.

Ray
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
Mind if I ask what you intend to use the straw for? See it is not recommended for coop / run floors. It is slick and then when ya add cackle spackle it forms one big hard mat. Also because straw is hollow it provides hiding places for parasites to thrive.

I also want it known that I'm sorry that the GF muffins weren't very exciting.  I'll try something better next time!

[COLOR=800000]what?!! There were GF muffins? Were the blueberry ones GF? I passed on most everything because I wasn;t sure if if contained gluten, dairy, soy, corn, etc.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800000]I would have had a muffin if I knew they were GF![/COLOR]

There was a note that said that the ones with the toothpicks were gluten free. I took the other one because I am not a GF person. They were really good, sorry you missed them.

That's what DH did as well. Left the GF for those who would need it. I was trying to limit my grain intake so I didn't try a lot of the desert stuff. I get painful rashes if I eat to much.

I got an egg from both my EE pullets today(first time from both) in the run today when I got home from the show.
Yup, made it with 30min to spare.
You are tired. I would like to meet my DH too.
lau.gif
. My DW will be coming to the PNPA in April, and I am trying to get her twin to bring her kids to look at the chickens.

Hi Guys
frow.gif
. Had a great time today at the show... Sorry to those I didnt get to chat with... my kiddos were so excited they were pulling me in all different directions trying to pick out which type of chickens they NEEDED to get. LOL..... Natalie wanted to thank Hallerlake, VF and CL for her eggs. We set them in the bator tonight. She cant wait to candle them on day 7. On a sad note I came home to find my very first chicken Henny Penny dead in the middle of the yard. :eek:( she would have been 2 next month. She was my best layer. Not sure what happened. She was at the door this morning getting petted and getting her share of the scratch. So I'm at a loss for what happened.
idunno.gif

I somehow didn't meet CL or VF today.
I now believe the Fog is an urban myth. You can run but hide forever. Fog I will find you and when I do!!!!!
tongue2.gif
highfive.gif
celebrate.gif
gig.gif

what?!! There were GF muffins? Were the blueberry ones GF? I passed on most everything because I wasn;t sure if if contained gluten, dairy, soy, corn, etc.
I would have had a muffin if I knew they were GF!
WHAT?!!!!!! I hope you at least ate my peppers
somad.gif
I found that almost but not quite cheese product we talked about. I don't know how they tasted but that cheese smelled like dirty socks. I couldn't bring myself to eat something thats smells like my work boots!!
sickbyc.gif
lau.gif

That crazy broody has the chicks out in the wind. She's moving a few inches at a time and keeping them under her. One under each wing. They've beed to food and water, ate some scratch, and are just hanging out getting fresh air now. While mama lays there having social time.

I made her sleep with the other silkies last night. The dog house is warmer with them all and the opening has been converted down to silkie size and faces north so little to no wind gets in.

The new birds don't want to leave their house. Only the oldest of the three came out for the scratch I tossed. That one is smart. I may have to watch out.

I really like using washed sand, on the coop run outside, it drains really well, is a little courser than regular sand and it can also be used as a grit for the chickens.

That was an accidental post, meant for an earlier posting. Another note, Really enjoyed the Poultry show at Monroe. I didn't show anything, but got to meet some of the BYC members and put names to their faces, some really nice people. Looked like a well organized show, really like seeing all of the different chickens there. Got to purchase some of the most beautiful blue eggs from Blue wheaten/wheaten ameraucanas from one of the BYC members.

had a great time meeting people today. and the food was really really good. lotta fun talking chicken with people and seeing some cool looking birds. I even won a bottle of wine!

I have replaced the meters on my incubator and got new racks for both chicken and turkey eggs at the show. I also bought a some eggs from Eliz at the show. I need to get 6 or 8 dozzen more eggs. nothing fancy, just good egg layers.

paul
It was good to meet you as well Paul. In my long term loss of short term memory I forgot that I wanted to pick up some of your feed.
he.gif
next time I guess.
Hi Guys
frow.gif
. Had a great time today at the show... Sorry to those I didnt get to chat with... my kiddos were so excited they were pulling me in all different directions trying to pick out which type of chickens they NEEDED to get. LOL..... Natalie wanted to thank Hallerlake, VF and CL for her eggs. We set them in the bator tonight. She cant wait to candle them on day 7. On a sad note I came home to find my very first chicken Henny Penny dead in the middle of the yard. :eek:( she would have been 2 next month. She was my best layer. Not sure what happened. She was at the door this morning getting petted and getting her share of the scratch. So I'm at a loss for what happened.
idunno.gif
I'm sorry you lost Henny Penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think if they are all raised together they should do fine. If her crest gets too big though, you might have to tape it up with that pink hair tape so it can see to eat and drink. Mostly if it's a girl, I think their crest poof out all around and a boys kind of goes back somewhat. I am not a polish expert, but that is was I have noticed. I think others on here have a few, so maybe they can chime in here?
I've seen the hairdoo thing to we spoke the one one the you gals over with the crested she said they can't see very well with the bun in they're eyes. She let Justine hold one for a picture now I get to have some
clap.gif
I don't think she realized what could happen when you hold a chicken you don't own
love.gif
. The search is on!!!!!!!!!! I can say that all the young people showing birds yesterday that I talked with were Really Great Kids.
that's nice..so you were intentionally avoiding me?
wink.png
Me too
hit.gif

The girls and I enjoyed the show yesterday. I only wish we could have stayed longer. We brought along their aunt who started taking pictures of all her favorite birds. That's how it starts, I warned her!

Unfortunately, this morning we also lost a favorite girl-- sweet, gentle Halloween who made such a great fair chicken last August. What the hell?

Which reminds me......

Does anyone want two lovely Sumatra hens? They have never laid for us, and they pick on our banties just a bit too much. We are near Rochester.
Sorry that you lost your Halloween!!! yesterday was a bad day for favorites.

I had a great time yesterday! What a nice amount of good food - the WA BYCers really know how to pot luck. Although in reading over the posts I see that a lot of folks attended that I didn't get to meet. I don't know if some had dispersed into the barn already by the time DH and I got there or if I didn't see the name tags but I'm sorry I missed you guys. And VF - how did I miss you? Everything seemed to happen quickly. I'd get into a nice conversation with someone and then other people I wanted to chat with were gone.

Congrats to all the winners - and kudos to those who went through prepping their birds and bringing them to the show so we could admire them. I just love walking those rows and rows of gorgeous chickens, ducks and geese.

Sorry to those of you who have experienced losses these past couple of days. It's tough to lose our chickens - so often our favorites.
hugs.gif

Dawng - I am loving my soaps and lotions! I was even nice and shared a lotion bar and soap with my girlfriend who hosted our annual St. Patrick's Day dinner and poker night. I hope she realizes how hard it was for me to give up any of my treasures.

I'm proud to say that I got home without purchasing any living thing. I was tempted by plenty and nearly gave into temptation when I saw the Gold Lakenvelders at Monroe Farm and Feed. I told DH I needed a white egg layer for contrast in my egg basket. He reminded me that I had eggs in the incubator and under hens and I reminded him that they were not white eggs. After some discussion I saw that common sense was on his side and left empty handed. But this does not keep me from thinking about a white egg layer. Has anyone here any experience with the Lakenvelders? I have never seen them for sale before and it doesn't look like Wilco is going to be getting any. Hmm...

Jean from Pips&Peeps even tried to tempt me with a fresh goose egg laid by her Sebastopol (sp?) hen there at the show. I was thinking how much fun it could be to put that in the incubator. Insane. I have no need nor room for a goose, but they sure are pretty!

Back
Top Bottom