Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

[COLOR=800000]okay, so finally got around to taking pics of the chicks we hatched in our inCOOLbator on March 2nd. We've got Wellies and Barnies and silvers from a local breeder, plus we tossed in some blue/green eggs we had from our stock- black EE rooster x EE/Americauna bearded hen. Here's pics[/COLOR] [COLOR=800000]This is a silver leghorn, and this one looks suspiciously like a roo, dontcha think?[/COLOR] [COLOR=800000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=800000] [/COLOR]
Male, indeed, and a straight-comb one at that, or at least not a proper pea comb.

Last edited:
Orange Pies

A few people have asked for the orange pie recipe I used a couple days ago.

I started out with this recipe:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Frosted-Orange-Pie

I made the following changes:
  • I used clementines instead of oranges
  • I omitted the lemon juice and lemon zest
  • I added a teaspoon of vanilla
  • I used ready-made Oreo cookie crusts

The pie is more of a pudding, it doesn't hold it's shape, but everyone absolutely devoured it.

[COLOR=800000]oh- also Carolyn, we buy GF flavorings and stevia, so have small brown glass bottles with glass droppers that I have saved for occassions like this. I probably have a dozen of the bottles- they are probably 3-4 tblsp size? ( 4 ounce? ) [/COLOR]

So I have a new bottle maybe I can help with this. I'm sick right now but this sounds good to me. I can sell it my the cc as long as you all have something to put it in.

Ditto; I'm getting a handful of 6cc syringes and a needle for filling frm my sister, and will sell or trade for labor/materials/other stuff to be discussed. Emprinex in regular syringes needs to be used soon-ish as it damages the rubber parts; I looked into syringes with silicon rubber gaskets but they're ridiculously expensive.

Hi! Good morning! This was the morning I found out I reached my limit, and all I'm going to do is feed and water and maybe, maybe take the plastic off the Tower of Solitude and start to clean it up.

ETA, oh, and wash my hair and three loads of laundry and go grocery shopping at some rotten late hour, ugh.

Last edited:
I know I have missed a lot of posts, I will try and get caught up.  welcome to the new folks.

hatch update.  18 chicks doing great and a few more still expected.  I will try and get pics today.

paul

So glad you got your incubator issues figured out. 18 chickens!!!!! Pictures!

Last edited:
So I have a new bottle maybe I can help with this. I'm sick right now but this sounds good to me. I can sell it my the cc as long as you all have something to put it in.
if there aren't enough freebies to go around the Olympia food co-op has dropper bottles for around $1-$2. I'm guessing 1-2 fl oz.

So does Radience, and I think PCC; I don't like to use them for veterinary purposes because the dropper bit is so easily broken, and the rubber bulb breaks down even faster than the gasket in syringes because it's exposed to air (as is the product you're storing: oxidation and light are the enemy of all medical products).

The breakable thing is the decider for me, but then not everyone has had an old-fashioned glass syringe break in their hand while helping someone inject insulin.

Last edited:
My chicks and I just love the nipples in the bottom of this plastic pail! IMHO, the nipple waterers are top notch. The ones I have outdoors will freeze when the temps are in the 20s, but I don't mind putting water out for the girls on the few days that happens. It took about 20 seconds for my 3 week old chicks to figure out the nipples! The pail is from a walmart bakery so I know it's food grade. The nipples came from QC Supply (online).
Thank for the pictures. I am checking for buckets with our grocery stores. I have some nipples from the feed store. Hopefully I can give this a try.

Hey all- putting in a plug for my extra nice local Feed Store- Iron Horse hay and Feed in Maple Valley.
They don't have a fancy website, but the owner sent me her list of chicks:

All Chicks are $2.99 ea by 5 get 1 free! (ends up @ $2.49 each)
No limit on the amount of chicks you buy.
These are all pullets with the exception of the polish. (straight run)

Ducks are $5.99, buy 5 Get 1 Free!

3/16
Rhode Island Red
Black Wyndotte
Maran
Wellsummer

Black Australorp
Assorted Ducks

3/28
Assorted Crested

3/29
Buff Orpington
Black Sexlink
Delware
Assorted Ducks

4/12
Buff Orpington
Buff Brahma
Light Brahma

Assorted Ducks

4/26
Production Red
Black Sexlink
Golden Sexlink
Assorted Duck

5/3
Americauna
White Leghorn

Iron Horse Hay & Feed
19435 244th ave se
Maple Valley Wa 98038

425 432 0636

pbjls - Would you be able to host a butcher class in say, idk, 8-12 weeks?
wink.png
celebrate.gif
My 10pc chicken nugget bunch should be ready by then.
lau.gif

Quote:

Remember this list can be missing some companies. There is also debates going on about what companies are telling the truth.
After this list is a link to the companies that have taken it one step farther the list of ones that took the safe seed pledge.
Quote:
Here they are, and please let us know of any companies we may have missed and we will add them to this list. Names are in alphabetical order, try to search for a company in your bioregion when possible. Also, it never hurts to ask any company if they sell any Seminis seeds or seeds from Seminis’ partners. (Sites with asterisks* have the additional approval and endorsement by Farmwars.info and verification by recognized leaders in the battle)
US:
*Adaptive Seeds
All Good Things Organic (SW)
*Amishland Seeds
Annapolis Valley Heritage Seed Company
Annie’s Heirloom Seeds
*The Ark Institute
Backyard Beans and Grains Project
*Baker Creek Seed Co. (MW)
Beauty Beyond Belief (BBB Seeds)
*Botanical Interests
Bountiful Gardens
Diane’s Flower Seeds (she has veggies now, too)
*Family Farmer’s Seed Co-op
*Fedco Seed Co.
Garden City Seeds
Gourmet Seed
*Grow Organic
Heirlooms Evermore Seeds
*Heirloom Seeds
Heirloom Solutions
High Mowing Seeds
*Horizon Herbs
Hudson Valley Seed Library
Humbleseeds
Ed Hume Seeds
Irish-Eyes
J.L Hudson
Kitchen Garden Seeds
Knapp’s Fresh Vegies
Kusa Seed Society
Lake Valley Seeds
*Landreth Seeds
Larner Seeds
*The Living Seed Company
*Livingston Seeds
Local Harvest
Moonlight Micro Farm
Mountain Rose Herbs
*My Patriot Supply
Native Seeds for the Arid Southwest
Natural Gardening Company
New Hope Seed Company
Nichol’s Garden Nursery
*Organica Seed
Organic Sanctuary (SE)
Peace Seeds
Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
Prairie Road Garden
Renee’s Garden
Restoration Seeds
Sand Hill Preservation Center
Sage Thymes
*Seed for Security
Seeds Trust
*Select Seeds
Siskiyou Seeds (NW)
*Southern Exposure
*Sow True (SE)
*Sustainable Seed Co
Tiny Seeds
Tomato Fest
Trees of Antiquity
Turtle Tree Seed
*Underwood Garden Seeds
*Uprising Seeds
*Victory Seeds
White Harvest Seed
*Wild Garden Seeds
Wildseed Farms
*Wood Prairie Farm (NE)

Canadian Seed Companies:
Brother Nature
Cubit’s Organics
Greta’s Organic Garden
Heritage Harvest Seeds (ships to Canada only)
Richters Herbs
Salt Spring Seeds
Seeds of Victoria
Solana Seeds
Stellar Seeds
Terra Edibles
The Cottage Gardener

Europe:
Seed Site (Italy)
The Real Seed Catalogue (UK)
Companies that have taken the safe seed pledge...................
http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/ViewPage.aspx?pageId=261
I had excellent luck with Victory Seeds. Very affortable and shipping was reasonable. I will re-evaluate once this next seed batch has sprouted.

Oh my gosh, ok. I don't have time to read right now, gotta run out the door for a few. But wanted to tell ya'll home much more real this whole buying a house thing is for me now. I just booked my home and septic inspections for Friday. I still have to find a well inspector and that is proving to be a bit harder. Not only am I this much closer to moving into the house, but I get to go up and see it again and the kids will be with me and get to see it for the first time other than pictures. Which I will be taking more of. Oh I am sooooo excited! Be back later.

[COLOR=800000]chicken house progress- we've got 9 nest boxes made now (the bottom boxes shown without the bottoms in them). We made the nest boxes so you could remove the bottoms of each box- they slide out- in case you need to remove entire bottom to clean a mess.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800000] [/COLOR]
Of course, since you have nine nest boxes, only two will ever be used. :gig
Just what I was thinking- this looks nearly identical to my cousin's chicken house, and his hens lay in tow boxes, one high and one low, and if somebody goes broody all the others lay outside on the ground, or rather in holes they've dug and filled with dry grass all over the place. I suspect his hen who thinks I belong to her is laying somewhere in my yard but I have yet to figure out where.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom