Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

If they are Santa's will they be able to run with the big chickens safely? I see on here that a lot of people have their bantams separated from their heavier birds.

Lol I hate auto correct. BANTAM. not Santa. Sheesh.
lau.gif
I love auto correct!

Hey guys. I have 6 chicks about 9 days old. One of our RIR checks is just not growing. She hasn't produced any new feathers since I brought her home making her total 2 feathers on each wing. She is about the size of a tennis ball. She looks tired. Her eyes are not as wide and bright as the other birds. She peeps pretty consistently and doesn't scratch like the other chicks. The other chicks tower over her. Whats going on with our Shirley?
Failure to thrive.

Hey guys. I have 6 chicks about 9 days old. One of our RIR checks is just not growing. She hasn't produced any new feathers since I brought her home making her total 2 feathers on each wing. She is about the size of a tennis ball. She looks tired. Her eyes are not as wide and bright as the other birds. She peeps pretty consistently and doesn't scratch like the other chicks. The other chicks tower over her. Whats going on with our Shirley?
Have you checked her for pasty butt? Look at her back end to see if she has dried up poop stuck there. It will back her up and make her really sick. If she does you'll need to clean it off.

You can tell it's farming if you have to work twice as hard the day before your day off, and three times as hard the day after, while still doing morning and evening chores that day anyway.

(The voice of experience is hoarse from screaming in protest at this fact).

:thumbsup  OH SO VERY TRUE !!!!!!!

I'm having a fun time with Stupid Rooster Tricks tonight; the BLRW I got from Rob, who is otherwise an admirable sort with gorgeous yellow legs, was perching on a piece of lumber I use to keep the wire and plastic run roof from sagging too much, which is about seven and a half feet off the ground. When I moved that down to a more reasonable pershing level, he stood on it for a while staring into the open door of the coop and then went up to perch on the coop roof. So, when it's just a little darker I'll go out and pull him off the roof and stick him in the coop for the night, I hope.

Meanwhile the perfectly gorgeous splash Ameraucana I got from Amanda today at the Vancouver sale (where I sadly did not find bantams nor bantam eggs and even more tragically renewed my deep, deep longing for a flock of Sumatras, sigh) is having a hard time dealing with his new coop and has taken his waterer apart twice, a habit he shares with one of the red EEs, who I ended up having to water in a 9X9 cake pan.

Well, I'm going to go eat something and then go find out if I can reach that silly rooster. Whose name is Prince, by the way, the Ameraucana is Diamond Dave.

Last edited:
Big day here today! Jeanine read her very first book! She has had 10 reading lessons and is 4.5 years old and roaring ready to read!

AND she danced for the first time ever on a stage, our church's spring children's show. She was a butterfly with the other 4-6 year old girls. She's 2nd from the left, and her cousin is 4th from the left. 2 other boy cousins were in it too, singing in the children's choir.

Back
Top Bottom