Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Goodnight peeps. I'm really envious of all of you now I don't have chickens. I miss them so much.

Got a lot of stuff going on the next few days, but luckily I found a nice young man to help around here. So if I have to be away, he can take care of everything.

My very best to all of you, and especially to those who have sent offers of help with my goats. I think we are over the hump now. I have to say I was surprised about goat milk - it's very thick and creamy. I think I may try and milk them after the babies are weaned - I know some ladies use goat milk for soap. I particularly like goat milk cheese.

Have a good night everyone.

That's a boy with all that red on the wings like that. Was it a hatchery bird? Most light or white hatchery EEs are boys.
This was from my country store. It was actually a very dark chick. It was supposed to be a pullet as I didn't pick out of the straight runs. Dang! Dang! Dang!

ETA: Oh, and to make matters more weird....Niqui, the Dominque has totally bullied the 3 new chicks to run any time she comes near them. This includes Matty.

Last edited:
Goodnight peeps. I'm really envious of all of you now I don't have chickens. I miss them so much.

Got a lot of stuff going on the next few days, but luckily I found a nice young man to help around here. So if I have to be away, he can take care of everything.

My very best to all of you, and especially to those who have sent offers of help with my goats. I think we are over the hump now. I have to say I was surprised about goat milk - it's very thick and creamy. I think I may try and milk them after the babies are weaned - I know some ladies use goat milk for soap. I particularly like goat milk cheese.

Glad things are looking up, and congratulations on the second set of triplets! And yes, goat milk soap is FABulous.

I am not even gonna try and get caught up on all the posts I have missed. been a crazy day. took dad to hospital for unscheduled gall bladder surgery. doc said it was packed with stones and very infected. the managed to get it out and clean up the infection. hope to have him home by saturday.

on a positive I came home to lots of chirping in the incubator. 60 turkey eggs on lock down day 26 and things are looking prety good. lots of early hatching. at least a half dozen are out and lots of piping.
Hope he heals quickly!
Glad your turkeys are doing so good!!
ya.gif
They sound lovely!!

Last edited:
Good evening chicken lovers! I'm planting my garden tomorrow. Looking for suggestions on what to plant to give my chickens treats over the summer. I've already got corn going along with sugar snaps. Any ideas?

TC so sorry to hear about your goats.
sad.png
X2 on the corn. My girls go nuts for kale. It grows easily and you can leave it in over the winter and continue feeding it to them. Mine even started re-growing this spring so I have more to tide them over until the new seeds grow up. They like all the greens I grow actually, but kale seems to be their favorite. The also go nut for any kind of berries. It's hilarious watching them try to jump straight up about 3' to get blue berries and raspberries. Be sure to plant a few pumpkins. They love the guts, and I understand the seeds are a natural de-wormer.

I should mention, I put leafy greens into a suet feeder so they can peck at it. They really like that and less gets wasted on the ground.

Hey peeps..... I have been working on my pen this week. Got the roost setup outside, and they girls love it. They spend more time on the outside perch than in the house. I'm asking on freecycle for some corregated plastic to replace the solid roof with so they will have more light in there. I'm a little concerned my EE is a roo. My GF said she heard a crowing from the broody pen and investigated to find it was my EEer. I'm including some pics. I am hoping Matilda (Matty for short) is a girl that was just checking out her adult voice. I don't see spur buds, nor do I see any hackles or saddle feathers that are long and drapy like the roos I have seen on here. VF, please smell :)lau ) my bird and let me know your thoughts. I really hope this bird is a girl as she likes to cuddle on my lap as you can see in the first couple of pics. She likes to follow me around. I would be really sad to either find a new home or send him off to freezer camp as the hubby REALLY doesn't want a roo. I haven't heard any crowing in the 4 days the flock has been together. Thanks for any input.
thats a boy. 3 rows of peas on the comb and the uneven red on the shoulders screams boy.
Crazy busy week. Another 50hrs at work after tonight's run. Possibly help with set-up of the swap tomorrow morning. Wilco and Costco tomorrow afternoon. Bed early. Saturday, swap then date with the wife. Sunday, back to the grind. Looks like I will be doing the first shuttle route for the un-forseen future, which means 50+hrs a week. Yay me.
Is this a good thing (pay wise)? If so, good for you! I don't understand the "[COLOR=FF0000]swap then date the wife[/COLOR]" though - something strange!
i am going to the poultry swap Saturday afternoon then picking up my wife for a date night, dinner and movie( IG Joe)

So I played let's make the chickens angry today.

I've been having issues with fertility on most of the eggs. Only his favorites are fertile. So I locked the rooster in a pen with 5 wheaten girls. None of them are happy about that. There is just to much choice in the main pen for that boy though. This way the next broody can have a few blue eggs to hatch.

The rocks are super happy with the rooster being gone. He doesn't like them much and will chase them. The immature cockerel in that pen is so skittish and afraid of everyone but one of the girls I got with him. He isn't an issue for anyone.

When I opened the lid to check the broody silkies eggs tonight, I reached down beside her to feel for eggs and there was a chick. Startled me since I thought the ameraucanas were still hiding only under their mother. They apparently have figured out that it stays so very warm with all the silkies in a pile that they can spread out. None of the birds in there complain about them going under them at night either. The head rooster had one under each wing, and there was one under his cockerel son's wing. Those boys are very protective of chicks. They are well worth their feed for their caring for chicks.

thats a boy. 3 rows of peas on the comb and the uneven red on the shoulders screams boy.
Ok, with so many seeing boy here, and I hate to agree but I do as he doesn't have the fluffy butt the girls do, and the vent appears to be smaller and shaped differently.

So.....is anyone interested in an EEer roo in exchange for an EEer pullet? He is about 7 weeks old. Very social and hasn't had an issue with being cuddled as you can see by the pics.

I really wanted an EEer hen. If no one is able to take him, I will be putting him on the B/S/T list or craigslist to find him a new home before the hubby discovers the boyness of him.

I'm really sad as I love his colors and his personality. Sigh.

I am getting more and more nervous. I start my new job in four days. I haven't worked in five years.
It's at that new Total Wine & More that just went up in Vancouver across from the mall. I'm looking forward to using my first couple paychecks to really crack down on our yard. We need to have the entire back yard tilled up so that we can rake it out and get rid of all of the uneven lumpiness. I can't wait until I can build some garden beds and try my hand and planting yummy veggies. Also of course to buy/build a really nice coop. I am so up in the air about all of this. I feel like I'm making it out to be a bigger deal than it really is but I'm so conflicted about what's "worth it" and what's just price gouging.
idunno.gif

I -really- like the Eglu Cube and how modern it looks but it would be a cold day in hell before I spent $1500 on what is basically a plastic tote with a run.
roll.png

Trampolines
Each time another child/person gets onto the trampoline the chance for injury increases exponentially.
92,000 ER visits for children each year are for trampoline injuries.
A majority of the injuries occur when the body hits the mat, not from falling off.
The worst injuries on a trampoline are head, neck, and spine injuries. Think Whip Lash.

This is an excellent article on tramp. safety.

Please Play Safely
hugs.gif
I almost broke my neck on a trampoline when I was younger. I stupidly tried to do a back flip and landed on my head. I was unable to move for several minutes and struggled to breathe. Still to this day not really sure why my parent's didn't take me to the hospital but I started coming back around and ended up being perfectly fine. Now that I'm older I realize how serious of a situation that could have been and my life could have turned out so differently. I don't think I will ever get my kids a trampoline.

Then there were numerous other times I've gotten hurt on them. I sprained my ankle once falling off. My brother and I would collide with each other all the time on it if we jumped together. My brother landed just right and slipped his legs between the springs and that didn't end well for his bits.

I love drinking goats milk. Goat cheese is yummy too on crackers with smoked salmon.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom