Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I grew up having chickens. My whole life my family has used chicken waters that are 5 gallon bucket you then tip over and the tray on the bottom fills. Now I am hearing about nipple waterers. What is the advantage of these?

Supposedly less work and less cleaning for those that haven't figured out how to keep the regular waterers clean. Personally I prefer the traditional style. Placed on an elevated platform and with a cut milk jug on top to stop them from perching on it, but some people like to be complicated. LOL

And so the rain returns.
Hard driving rain here in loveable RockChester. The chooks have given up and gone back into the coop, even thought the run is covered the sideways rain they don't like. They don't like it one bit.

Should get busy with inside work but really don't feel like it. sigh.
Need stuff at the store, but don't feel like going. sigh
caf.gif

Supposedly less work and less cleaning for those that haven't figured out how to keep the regular waterers clean. Personally I prefer the traditional style. Placed on an elevated platform and with a cut milk jug on top to stop them from perching on it, but some people like to be complicated. LOL
Okay, so I'm not crazy. What's so hard about cleaning the regular ones? Soap, water, scrub brush! I just have a hard time picturing a chicken understanding how to drink from a nipple. Unless I'm not picturing the correct thing? Just curious!

And so the rain returns.
Hard driving rain here in loveable RockChester. The chooks have given up and gone back into the coop, even thought the run is covered the sideways rain they don't like. They don't like it one bit.

Should get busy with inside work but really don't feel like it. sigh.
Need stuff at the store, but don't feel like going. sigh
caf.gif
Redmond is just lightly raining. However I get to be bored at work, selling cowboy boots to non-existent customers! How exciting is that! I could be at home painting the new coop we are building or finishing the fence around my garden. Or playing with my chicks. But no I am here.
he.gif

Okay, so I'm not crazy. What's so hard about cleaning the regular ones? Soap, water, scrub brush! I just have a hard time picturing a chicken understanding how to drink from a nipple. Unless I'm not picturing the correct thing? Just curious!
Couldn't tell you. I just dump mine out, they don't get dirty enough to even scrub except maybe once or twice a year. *shrugs* I tried the nipples once, the chickens did drink from them, don't know how they knew to, but I didn't care for the system so went back. Very old fashioned here. LOL

Couldn't tell you. I just dump mine out, they don't get dirty enough to even scrub except maybe once or twice a year. *shrugs* I tried the nipples once, the chickens did drink from them, don't know how they knew to, but I didn't care for the system so went back. Very old fashioned here. LOL

chickens don't know to drink from them but figure it out quickly. They peck at anything new because it might be food. When they do and a bit of water comes out they then start drinking from it. :)

Anyone else getting crazy weather? I don't mind the rain but it rains then the sun is out i go try to do some work in the yard and it starts raining again. And now i think i just heard some thunder... yep dogs are hiding under my chair it was thunder.

Back
Top Bottom