Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Ok Washington peeps,

I'm new to the chicken thing and need help. I need to know if this chick is a hen or roo. The receipt says Araucana, but I've read enough to think it's an Easter Egger. Seems to me that this is a roo but I want your opinion. "Bacon" is about 8 weeks old in these pics. Thanks.

I'm with everybody else on the ROO! Quite a few Peeps with Peeps out there hope you can find one close to help you out! I would but I'm down in Oly. but if yer up for a drive just PM me.
smile.png
What a cute baby. I have 2 of those eggs in my incubator.My converted greenhouse. Its not painted yet. trying to decide colors.Are you related to the Hunters of Arlington? I am.
Very nice! That should work out great! Hope you don't want your greenhouse back cuz once they check in the can never leave!
Still trying to figure out how to post, reply, etc. I, m from Tri-Cities. Love my girls, now 5 weeks. Getting everything set up for them in the run. Now if only the weather would cooperate so they can start living out there. Would love to hear from other folks in Richland.
If you use reply we can't see what you're replying to. (CONFUSING)
If you want to reply to a single post use the quote button.
To quote more than one post hit the multi button in each post that you want to reply to, when you're done and want to quote you can hit the Post a Reply button on your left, or the Quote or reply buttons on the right. Then you can quote each post by clicking under each post. If you mess up like I do all the time just hit the clear the editor button and start all over!
Hello All,

Living in Tacoma city limits and I have 3 Rhode Island Red hens. I had 4, but 1 was a rooster so I sent him back to the fellow I bought from. The girls are almost 10 weeks old and beginning to cluck instead of the little baby peep-peep-peep. I'm kind of watching for eggs, but I've read that 16 weeks is when they will start laying. I'm also thinking of switching them from Flock Raiser to something for laying hens. Suggestions would be most welcome. I'd like to stick with non gmo if possible.

Otherwise all is well. I had to buy a BB pistol for the tom cats that have been stalking them at night and just before dawn. "Word on the street" must have got around because I haven't seen those cats since I was out back practicing with that thing
big_smile.png

Here are some photos of Scarlett, Ruby and Ginger:

Nice birds!!

Anybody know a good tree guy?
What all do you need done with the trees Julia! I may know a guy. Does your cousin still want the AM. Roo?
Any one in western wa selling blue laced red wyandottes? Would like to buy some started pullets or hens
There are a few that have very nice stock! PM me I can get you some info

What all do you need done with the trees Julia! I may know a guy. Does your cousin still want the AM. Roo?

Right now I just need this broken branch dealt with- although that's going to involve a certain amount of fence-moving and blackberry slashing and if the crack keeps getting wider it'll just be cutting it up and hauling it out and then I'll have to put bandaids on the owies of about thirty feet of roses, lilacs, and perennials. I am not best pleased with the situation.

I'll have to ask him; I need to talk to him anyway, just that I've been run off my feet since the chicks hatched.

Here's an update on my coop. I think I posted a picture of what I started with already but anyway here goes a little timeline on my coop build. I call this the Freestyle Coop. I did it without any plans. I decided what the footprint would be and a rough idea of what I wanted to have in the end and went for it. The drawback is I always end up re-building some parts and my time line gets messed up easily when I decide on some new feature or shift directions.

I have this old unused garden bed in the backyard. Mostly the dog just digs in it. I thought I'd have to wait for him to move out with my youngest child after he graduates from Cornish next year. After some research I figured he could deal with it. It's also still a work in progress.

4.5 feet x 25 feet garden bed. After lots of thought I decided to put the coop in the center to allow me two run spaces on either side.

Made a foundation.

Then framed in a structure to support the floor.

And finally a floor.

Built a nest box. I wonder if I mentioned that I have a problem with over building thngs?
wink.png

Got the nest box set in place.

Did some framing. This thing will be my shelter if a hurricane come to Seattle.

Some painting and roost.

Back wall. You'll notice I made a change after this. I was going to have an open top to the coop with a corugated roof that would let light in but I decided to use a plywood roof. I'm still going to put up the corugated roofing for keeping it all dry. I had to put a light source in and you can see how I did that next. Also note the retractable roost for when I need to do maint.

In these next two pics you can see the changes. Window for light in back wall, plywood ceiling. There is a screened off gap at one end in the roof for ventilation and more light.

Now it needs some doors.

Sand bedding hauled in and put in place. Food and water. Ready for some residents! Yea! I closed off the upper nest boxes too.

And what do we have here? Chickens a roosting! I'm SOOOO! excited.

Welcome to your new home ladies. I'm really glad to have here!

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I have never figured out how to do multiple quotes so I have to do one at a time. Is it the same on the mobile version? I only see a flag icon, a thumb icon, and the quote icon. What does the multi quote icon look like?

I have never figured out how to do multiple quotes so I have to do one at a time. Is it the same on the mobile version? I only see a flag icon, a thumb icon, and the quote icon. What does the multi quote icon look like?

Lower right, two sets of quotes with the word multi. Click it on each post you want to quote then click the quote button on the last post you want to quote. Hope that helps.

Lower right, two sets of quotes with the word multi. Click it on each post you want to quote then click the quote button on the last post you want to quote. Hope that helps.

Oh wow! I just hit the quote button on each quote and then the button at the bottom showed there were two quotes so when I clicked quote and reply they were both in the reply window. I should have tried that before but I did not realize it works like a clipboard.

Here's an update on my coop. I think I posted a picture of what I started with already but anyway here goes a little timeline on my coop build. I call this the Freestyle Coop. I did it without any plans. I decided what the footprint would be and a rough idea of what I wanted to have in the end and went for it. The drawback is I always end up re-building some parts and my time line gets messed up easily when I decide on some new feature or shift directions. I have this old unused garden bed in the backyard. Mostly the dog just digs in it. I thought I'd have to wait for him to move out with my youngest child after he graduates from Cornish next year. After some research I figured he could deal with it. It's also still a work in progress. 4.5 feet x 25 feet garden bed. After lots of thought I decided to put the coop in the center to allow me two run spaces on either side. Made a foundation. Then framed in a structure to support the floor. And finally a floor. Built a nest box. I wonder if I mentioned that I have a problem with over building thngs? ;) Got the nest box set in place. Did some framing. This thing will be my shelter if a hurricane come to Seattle. Some painting and roost. Back wall. You'll notice I made a change after this. I was going to have an open top to the coop with a corugated roof that would let light in but I decided to use a plywood roof. I'm still going to put up the corugated roofing for keeping it all dry. I had to put a light source in and you can see how I did that next. Also note the retractable roost for when I need to do maint. In these next two pics you can see the changes. Window for light in back wall, plywood ceiling. There is a screened off gap at one end in the roof for ventilation and more light. Now it needs some doors. Sand bedding hauled in and put in place. Food and water. Ready for some residents! Yea! I closed off the upper nest boxes too. And what do we have here? Chickens a roosting! I'm SOOOO! excited. Welcome to your new home ladies. I'm really glad to have here! Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for looking.
Coop looks awesome!! What girls did you get and from how? :) yeap you are needed at the next work/building party :D

Back
Top Bottom