Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Any PNW Washingtonians noticing bizarre hens behavior right now? My hens aren't sure what they're suppose to be doing. Lay eggs, go broody, molt? I've checked them over for mites (ewh), their food is the same, but egg production just dropped! There are feathers from preening so I know some are molting, but now... 2 of my girls that have never been broody, are trying to hatch eggs that aren't even there. No one is sick... Are they all just confused from erratic weather? I haven't experienced this drastic of a change in years past. All my hens are 2 years and younger. Anyone else notice a difference this year?

Any PNW Washingtonians noticing bizarre hens behavior right now? My hens aren't sure what they're suppose to be doing. Lay eggs, go broody, molt? I've checked them over for mites (ewh), their food is the same, but egg production just dropped! There are feathers from preening so I know some are molting, but now... 2 of my girls that have never been broody, are trying to hatch eggs that aren't even there. No one is sick... Are they all just confused from erratic weather? I haven't experienced this drastic of a change in years past. All my hens are 2 years and younger. Anyone else notice a difference this year?

Me too, barely getting 1 egg a day from 4 younger hens. Between, broodiness, molting, and the long warm summer, I guess.

Imp

Thought I'd share a cute photo of Blueberry and her chicks. It's her second time going broody this year, finally bought her feed store EEs when I couldn't break her. I think she likes them
love.gif
Great picture!

I have a Silkie I bought from a friend and did not realize it has a straight comb until I parted back the crest and peeked when she told me that she had one of her Silkies get disqualified for having a straight comb. Of course the chicken has become a pet and my daughter wants to keep it but I can't mix it with breeding stock or build another pen for it so it will need to go. I can't list it for free on Craigslist because it would be eaten for sure but I can offer it to anyone here who wants it as a pet and will not eat it. If I can't find a home for it I will have to take it to the auction and hope for the best. I am in Covington but I drive to Seattle three days a week if that is closer to you.

I have a Silkie I bought from a friend and did not realize it has a straight comb until I parted back the crest and peeked when she told me that she had one of her Silkies get disqualified for having a straight comb. Of course the chicken has become a pet and my daughter wants to keep it but I can't mix it with breeding stock or build another pen for it so it will need to go. I can't list it for free on Craigslist because it would be eaten for sure but I can offer it to anyone here who wants it as a pet and will not eat it. If I can't find a home for it I will have to take it to the auction and hope for the best. I am in Covington but I drive to Seattle three days a week if that is closer to you.

Assuming that is a hen, you could post it on craigslist for $5-10. Just mention it's not for showing. Some one looking for a silkie hen to hatch eggs or something will probably buy it.

Assuming that is a hen, you could post it on craigslist for $5-10.  Just mention it's not for showing.  Some one looking for a silkie hen to hatch eggs or something will probably buy it.  

I am not sure if it is a cockerel or pullet but it looks more boy to me with the red in the comb (the comb is smaller than I would expect for a rooster at 5 months old). Because it can't be used for breeding it does not matter what it is, it will need to be a pet or get eaten. The one I bought at the same time has a walnut comb that is larger and redder so I am sure it is a boy, even though he is not crowing yet. I sold a white Silkie rooster I got with some older hens by pairing him with a white hen so I guess I can try pairing this Silkie with a guaranteed hen.

I have a splash hen that is beautiful but she does not seem to be laying much (she has not gone broody) so maybe someone would want the two together as pets. Both the Silkie hens and roosters make great brooders because they let chicks snuggle up to them in the coop and this hen makes sure the chicks get out and back in the coop, even though she does not mother them all day. I am able put 4 week old chicks out in the coop without a heat lamp because the Silkies keep them warm at night. I am raising an abundance of Silkie chicks to replace hens in the spring but I could sell this one hen now before my splash chicks are mature.

Last edited:
I would put the silkie on craiglist or on a buy sell trade site...I have one on Facebook (SW Washington farm animal and supply buy, sell, trade) some people love the silkie look and won't mind the comb issues.

Last edited:
[COLOR=0000FF]Hello beautiful!![/COLOR]

Really enjoyed our quick (3 hour) visit the other week!! Can't wait to come see the finished product of all your hard Labor!! Miss ya Mama!!

:frow
We had so much fun with you two !!!!
Funny how time can fly, huh ???????????????
HOUSE UPDATE:
We have passed our plumbing inspection (YIPPEE A REAL FLUSH TERLET !!!!!!!!!!!!!   :celebrate )
We have about 30 more minutes electrical work to do and that will be DONE, including the 200-amp service that was inspected & buried this morning........:celebrate
AND NOW it is time to get the drywall/insulation/paint guy out here first of next week to get that stuff done !!!!!!!!!!:weee

THIS part of the build is going really really fast.................:ya

That is all most excellant news!

I had the young women I didn't give birth to take the old toilet out of the hall bathroom and found, much to my relief, that the subfloor is in fine shape, so I'm having the fine folks at Home Depot do the actual installation which will be less than ruinously expensive since we got the toilet into the house ourselves.

I inadvertantly ended up with Tegan-the-Hamburg in with Elvis and Terre, of the parental generation (she escaped and we couldn't get her back with Sara), so now the grand moving-about of chickens will commence. I have to move Malvina in with Sara, and have decided that the suddenly GIGANTIC splash cockerel is going in with Bluebelle, and soon Tertia and Ginjur the EEs will join them. It will then be easier to get Total Colour's two splash pullets out of the hoop house. I then need to ship three Hamburg cockerels and two Am/Am+Au cockerels to the sale, which may be trickier than I wish but what can I say?

And get three, possibly four BdAs to the breeder in Centralia- I'm having difficulty being secure that one of the three porcelains is a pullet, and I'm not too concerned if there isn't one: I have a porcelain female, and having only two females to that male would be sort of OK with me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom