Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I am new to raising chickens. I am in Puyallup and am putting up my coop now. Doing lots of research but finding it hard to figure out where and when to get my chicks. Any leads on where to get chicks in or near Puyallup?

I am new to raising chickens. I am in Puyallup and am putting up my coop now. Doing lots of research but finding it hard to figure out where and when to get my chicks. Any leads on where to get chicks in or near Puyallup?
If you find a local feed store you can ask them about when they will be getting their chicks in. I know there is a Wilco in Gig Harbor but that's a bit of a drive from you. We have had good luck with our meat birds from them(at the Kelso Wilco). That is where I will be getting our next batch of egg layers. I think it's usually around April to May when they get their chick in. That's if you just want Hatchery Quality birds. If you want show birds you could put an ad on CraigsList. Have you decided on a breed yet? We have 5 Speckled Sussex and 2 Welsummers. My next batch will be all Wellies. They lay nice big 2.3 -2.5 ounce eggs that are brown with brown spots. Sometimes the spots will look lavender until you get them wet then they are dark brown. They are a really pretty egg, a nice change to the brownish pink my SS lay.

What breed or breeds are you interested in?

Edit: And did you want the real thing, or hatchery stuff?

Last edited:
I prefer the real thing and was thinking about Red/Black Sex Links and/or Ameraucanas

NN Naked necks ... lots here Love them.
pop.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/301500/naked-neck-turken-thread/9320#post_12614240

Last edited:
I prefer the real thing and was thinking about Red/Black Sex Links and/or Ameraucanas

Well the Sexlinks are a hatchery creation, so there is no "real thing" of them.

Here is a link to the Breeder Directory for the Ameraucana club: http://www.ameraucana.org/DnLd/BreedersDirectory.pdf

Royce Van Blaircome has some nice birds and is listed on that Directory, I don't know the others listed on there for WA.

Quote:
Jean Ribbeck on that list is Pips&Peeps on here. She has very nice birds and is the club president. I've gotten silver and wheaten from her twice now. The silvers don't like me picking them up but they seem to LOVE following me all over. The wheatens are much friendlier.

Graham Hay Market
22818 Meridian Ave E, Graham, WA 98338
(253) 847-3482

Dels feed
308 W Stewart Ave, Puyallup, WA 98371
(253) 845-0495
or....
Dels Feed
20718 Mountain Hwy E, Spanaway, WA 98387
(253) 847-6651

These are your local options for feed stores that sell chicks. Most will only sell starting end of feb. You can also check craigslist as their is usually a decent amount of local breeders. Keep in mind most feed stores have a minimum purchase of 5+ Chicks. In pierce county your now allowed a max of 12 with no roosters and your setback from your residence went from 100ft to 15ft. Good luck and post pics when you get your lil chicks!

Last edited:
For your ease of searching here is a good guy who makes coops but is selling sexlinks amongst other thinks. Right down the hill in Orting.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/4273490745.html

Here are some black sexlink chicks for $8 each and are 5weeks old already(cutting down a months worth of feed and closer to laying) I bought some RIRs from this guy.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/4235260579.html

Last edited:

There are a lot of good breeders in the area so you don't have to go to the feed stores and buy hatchery birds. Although sex links are not an actual breed, but rather a cross, you can get those locally, too. A good source is Pam at Raincreek Pottery in Port Orchard. She has several other breeds, too. You can google her to get a phone number. I know people in Enumclaw and Gig Harbor, too. How many birds are you thinking about getting? And would you enjoy driving a bit to visit the farms as you build your flock? It can be really interesting and a nice way to get acquainted with some of the people in the local chicken community.

You might also enjoy going to one or two of the poultry shows to meet breeders and see the huge variety of chickens that are available. It's a lot of fun, and free too!

Back
Top Bottom