Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I am in the farthest NW corner of Washington state, I have BBS, buff and jubilee English Orpington, buff and white silkies, and a few Cochin eggs in the bator right now. This will be my first hatch! (Hopefully)
I currently have a small flock of BBS orps.

Went to the BANK to sign the mortgage for the home we just built, Construction Loan.............................all in all it is OK, 15 years, interest at 3.25%. payments are about $500 or so, includes taxes and insurance............not a bad mortgage at all !
None the less I am SPENT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DRAINED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT IS FINALLY DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soon as T-Hi gets back from Puerto vallarta, and summer starts around, we'll have that barbie....and T-Hi's disc jokey and barbie some nice goodies~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
th.gif

Do you live in a shoe box on the street corner? Howd you manage such low cost? Or are you in a rural area?

Turkey poults are not the brightest bulb....I used t raise Royal Palm. The best mom was my Muscovy hen....she had duckling about 5 weeks old. I had raised the poults to about 6 weeks and put them in the stall with her.....the stall is 12 x 12 so lots of space. for some reason I had to grab one of the poults, it shrieked and the mama duck was all over me. She adopted those poults right away...in a few weeks they were much bigger than her. It was cute to see them try to go under her and they would lift her off her feet. Not one died under her care and she has been known to adopt all sorts of poultry babies....keets, ducks, chicks, poults. It was entertaining to see them follow her...10 duckling and about 8 poults and then later she added some chicks....everyone was different breeds, sizes and ages...

when I hand raise them, they are just "slow" so sometime I toss a half grown chick in their to help teach them the ropes.

Do you live in a shoe box on the street corner? Howd you manage such low cost? Or are you in a rural area?
Good For You !!! We just refied in October too but a bit more,(4.25) but gives us breathing room…..SO, does this mean a potluck or 2 this summer. know it will be so good when Your house is finished….…….VBG

Oh my they are entertaining aren't they ?
I have 20-30 polts do fine on sand, but once they all see ONE EAT SOMETHING (cardboard, shavings, even each other's rears) they all stampede to that spot & figure it is the thing to eat, and so they do.
Having a mother helps with Polts, but not always......quite often the hens are so big that they trample their offspring...and I have had Toms maul Pekin and Muskovie Ducks until they have ripped their skull skin OFF as they try to mate the duck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
meanwhile the duck can barely breathe with a 25 pound Turkey dancing on it's back~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SHEEEEEEEEESH !!!
Yup, i lost a beautiful Barnevelder hen who couldn't get away fast enough,,,,tough lesson….all while the poor turkey hen begged for him…..thank goodness they are good eating…..
Another weird thing, the first hen, went full Tom on us….Looks/colored, displays, tries to breed and fights like a Tom…..I just know who she really is, nobody else would know….is this usual????

Sorry to bust in from across the river, but I'm looking for some specific fertilized eggs soon. I'm actually in Oregon, but the entire Vancouver area and around is perfectly acceptable for driving distance. I'm building my incubator this weekend and giving it probably about a week of testing to make sure it's tip top and ready for hatching.

I'm looking for Silkies, Ameraucanas in standard colors, wyandottes, and lavender orpingtons. I'm looking for purebreds because I'm looking to work with bird genetics next year-ish. Maybe sooner if I have time. I'm definitely checking around Oregon first for convience, but I'm willing to drive 1-2 hours outside of the Portland metro area to find the eggs for the breeds I'm looking for. I was hoping for about 10-12 of each group.

Thank you kindly all!

Last edited:
Went to the BANK to sign the mortgage for the home we just built, Construction Loan.............................all in all it is OK, 15 years, interest at 3.25%. payments are about $500 or so, includes taxes and insurance............not a bad mortgage at all !
Soon as T-Hi gets back from Puerto vallarta, and summer starts around, we'll have that barbie....and T-Hi's disc jokey and barbie some nice goodies~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
th.gif

Yippee!! Congrats!!!

th.gif
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Yup, i lost a beautiful Barnevelder hen who couldn't get away fast enough,,,,tough lesson….all while the poor turkey hen begged for him…..thank goodness they are good eating…..
Another weird thing, the first hen, went full Tom on us….Looks/colored, displays, tries to breed and fights like a Tom…..I just know who she really is, nobody else would know….is this usual????
I had a few do that !

DIY
(Owner/Builder Construction Loan)
The acerage was bought & paid for, cash.
The barn house has been under construction for 3 years now while we have lived in a shoebox...aka "Lawn Mower barn"

Before (the cabin)

After~oh and we built an 8x8 kitchen on the front of the lawn mower barn...LOL
The House is "across the yard" from here.
So my back is to the house as I take this photo.

This photo above, is taken looking out the kitchen window in the lawn mower barn, over the top of the green house outside, at the house under construction............on a very cold morning, last January 2013.

When I get time, I'll post a series of snap shots taken of the construction over the last 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom