Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi, I can't help you with the vaccination question, but wanted to shout out "another Maple Valley-ite!! We are new to chickens (only have four chicks now and we're nervous about putting them outside in a few weeks). Just wanted to say hello neighbor!!
Melanie and James

Me too!! Wow two people close by. Good to know.
Mel
celebrate.gif

I am finding this so awesome that there are quilters out there who happen to have chickens too! Quilting I've been doing for a while, but chickens are new to me (although I've quilted a few quilts that have chickens on them). Very nice to meet you all. I made this one a few weeks ago for a friend's new grandbaby.

Quote:
Very Cool Project! Do you have connections in the U.K. to help or are you playing Lone Ranger on this? It would be really interesting to hear about the process some time.

Quote: I'm here too CL, and you know I'm a quilter. The Quilters Anonymous quilt show used to be quite something, but I haven't gone to it in several years. With DH along with me at the Monroe show I don't really have a chance to go to the quilt show, too. He's not much of a loner and a bit short on patience on days like that. Has it changed much? Shows seem to be getting smaller as quilters move on to other interests and fabric prices increase by leaps and bounds. The attendance at my guild's shows keep dropping. As a result we've cut back from a 3 day show to just 2 days.

Quote:

LuLubonbon.... welcome to the group. Congrats on the chicks, they are SO much fun! I'm missing having some tiny little fluff balls this spring. I love it when they fall asleep while I'm holding them.

Ditto what CL said about pictures, too.

I just got here. Been working with the "DorkingImportationProject" to bring some fresh blood in from the U.K. It's going to be quite a lot of work, but very worth it.

@Chickielady , you coming to Oly at all before monroe? I'd love to see ya :)
Wow, Thats wonderful….Any particular color type? I have a friend that really likes Dorkings….I have a couple black mixes from Sandhill…..

Robin, Beautiful quilt, Sounds like Your home is coming together…. You too Melnurse, Lurkin mostly, getting over being sick…My mother and sister were both can do and did, where i have the projects half started all over. Am thinking to do some of the chenille type of rugs and blankets. Hoping to get back into spinning and knitting….

Had a breach in my outer fence again…saw a young coyote run off with one of my free rangers. ( a few that live in the barn free stylin….)...

ROBYN, had my first ***olive egger egg*** this morning from my black hen…..REALLY pretty army olive green. Thankyou. (she is behind 6' chain link paneling)…...

eliz

Quote: Right now the group is doing SG, coloureds and whites I think. This project will take about 2 years, due to regulatory process (on both sides), vet certification etc, plus locating and getting the eggs all in one place at the same time! There is an fb page all about it (I don't think the mods would mind this info, since importation is not something they do here anyway).

Quote:
Very Cool Project! Do you have connections in the U.K. to help or are you playing Lone Ranger on this? It would be really interesting to hear about the process some time.

@CarolynF a group has been formed to do this. There's a lot of regulatory process involved, plus vet certs on both sides, then locating eggs of the right kind and getting them together to bring back so they can hatch at the same time. Then they have to be inspected again this side of the pond to ensure no bugs were brought over . . .it's really quite involved.

We have a conncetion in the UK to help us locate eggs, and we have someone here who will be going over when it's time to transport the eggs. Then we have places for the eggs to hatch, and then people to raise the first generation . . . This is a 2 year project and has got an end date of 2016. It's going to be fun and work, but so rewarding I think!

Hi, I can't help you with the vaccination question, but wanted to shout out "another Maple Valley-ite!!  We are new to chickens (only have four chicks now and we're nervous about putting them outside in a few weeks). Just wanted to say hello neighbor!!
Melanie and James

Welcome MV group. So how old are your chicks?

I never vaccinate and when i order chicks I request they don't vaccinate them.   But that is just my preference.

I don't vac my birds and have had them for years. Now I also do show and don't let many come to my place. I have a high Bio Security here, have to much to lose with poultry and goats. Heard horror stories.

I have lots of friends who do and than group of friends who don't.

Back
Top Bottom