Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

We just started last week with Elite Sheep, in Hockinson, (we get our lambs in a few weeks) and I've been directed to Kathy Giberson for the poultry club. As soon as we get everything settled, I'll send you an email. We'd love some nice birds! :ya

Kevin Noorlander and the Prairie Hatchers would be a great club too, been around forever. I will PM you his info, they are a much more active club. And yes please do get ahold of me, I do whatever is in my power to help youth out!

Hey! Anyone know of a black copper maran breeder in washington? Not hatchery stuff. And also a real ameraucana breeder with blue eggs? I want to have colorful eggs to collect this next round! Anyone in enumclaw or king county that hatches them?
smile.png

Pink's Marans is North of Vancouver, around Mt Sr Helen's, I believe. She has BCMs. I don't have any of her birds, I just contacted her when I was looking for Marans. Last I heard, her flock suffered a mountain lion attack, so not sure what she has for this year. Her website is PinksMarans.com

Kevin Noorlander and the Prairie Hatchers would be a great club too, been around forever. I will PM you his info, they are a much more active club. And yes please do get ahold of me, I do whatever is in my power to help youth out!

I just had to jump in this thread and say, Mamamanda if you get a chance to join a 4-H poultry club.....Prairie Hatchers is the one. I cant say enough amazing things about that group, and the kids learn so much! You will not find a better one in the state of Washington :)

Last edited:
Has anyone had success hiding the fact that they have the rooster while living in the city?
My mom says roosters only crow at dusk and dawn, i'm not sure how true that is as I swear every I'd show up at her house her rooster was crowing.
My only surviving polish chick is of course turning out to be a cockeral. never fails does it? Well I do not have the heart to give him up. I've always wanted a polish I am not going to be ordering more. I figure i'll keep him breed him to my hens.
I have a great dane sized dog crate (3ft tall, 4 ft long and 3 ft wide) i figure he can live in that and go outside for a few hours a day under my watchful eye to make sure he's not being to loud when neighbors aren't around.
I figure if they hear crowing from within my house they'll think i'm blaring the rooster noises from my computer again as i do almost daily to get my hens looking at me with their heads cocked slightly to the side.

I just really don't want to give him up at all and honestly a rooster cannot possibly be any louder then my hens who think that when they lay an egg that people 5 miles away need to know about it. and only seem to lay eggs at 5 am

Last edited:
Roosters crow at any time. Some of mine have tried to be heard in the next county. None of my hens is quite that loud and I have a few that yell all day.

Orpington will lay a shade of tan light to dark. Green is from a EE, some say Easter egger some say Oliver egger, than if you get them from a feed store they sometime s call them Ameracuana.

I found out today that its my lavender orpington laying blue green eggs. So weird.

The lavender I bought from the guy in kent by pacific raceways. He buys and sells the real deal. The barnie I bought from baxter barn in fall city which by the way NEVER EVER go there. So im pretty sure its the barnie because before I learned about what to look for in a breed I just believed what people told me and his chicks are from some big hatchery. Oh well ill keep her because shes the only chicken ive ever had that lets me pick her up!

Uh oh... why not go to Baxter Barns? We're very new to raising chickens (as in neither one of us have every done it), and since they were close we went there. Chickens seem to be okay, healthy, etc., and he had some good advice. Wasn't to terribly personable, but I can get over that if the product is good. They sell their own feed too, which we've been giving to the girls, but if you have any information about poor feed, etc., we'd appreciate that.
Mel

Back
Top Bottom